How's your weekend scrounging schedule looking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fechmup said:
For a while, I've been wondering if I'm the only hunter on here. I set aside two months to take care of firewood - February and March. Outside of that, it's taking time from getting boats ready for the upcoming season, fishing, and hunting...

I often go out fishing, and a freind of mine goes shooting pheasant and muntjack deer (munties are a pest here, they eat your vegetables and jump out in front of cars).

Best thing to do on a weekend here is either scrounging wood or shooting munties........ ;-)

This is the 2nd consecutive weekend that I planned to be out with the saw but other things took priority. I did find the time to take my 4 legged friend for a wlk in the woods though and found a lot of wood ready to take. I feel good that a lot of things got done but the itch is getting worse and now it's deer season which means I can only safely scratch that itch on Sundays for awhile.

Two weekends ago: removed an oak from my father's house for landscaping purposes.
<enter a week of unusually high winds for this area>
One weekend ago: helped a friend scrounge a downed oak in exchange for the thicker pieces (that need splitting - he's lazy like that, and the tree was humongous).
Last weekend: scrounged a downed cedar (rare that it didn't have insect damage or dry rot for a 2' diameter tree - seriously high winds) and the last of the downed oak in the friend's yard.
Next weekend: there is still a fair amount of trees down, just need to prioritize them between "most likely to be scrounged by someone else".

The scrounging has been quite good so far.

Got a call from a lady 'bout an hour away who want two (small) trees dropped in her front yard. In exchange for taking those down (she had a quote for $400 to take down two 12' trees!), she's going to let me have the wood in her woodshed which has been there for years. She doesn't burn anymore so it's just sitting there, dry as a bone. Not sure how much there is, but even if just a cord, it's worth it.

Also going to check out a couple other potentials... one's in the city (elm, probably with neighbours) so I will likely decline that one, but the other is near work and is more promising. Just hope it's not in house-striking range otherwise I'll have to decline that too.

Took a look at the other potential jobs last night. One was 4 giant black locust trees - 5' dia at the base of the trunk - that he wants removed. One's down, the other three are standing dead. Probably a whole winter's worth right there! Right by the house though so I suggested he get a pro in to do the job. He said he had a quote for $10,000 to bring the three remaining trees down! I gave him two names of fellows I've dealt with who would charge a fraction of that. Said if he can get 'em down, I'd be happy to remove the rest, which he seemed happy to hear, not wanting to pay hauling costs. So, we'll see what happens. The other job was an elm hanging over a neighbour's house.. told him the same thing - hire a pro.

Sat, we actually have a Santa Claus parade to attend with the kidlings so I won't be doing any cutting beyond our Christmas tree. Not even sure about Sunday as we have to prep for contractors coming in this week to install our new ZC fireplace. Maybe I'll sneak out in the AM with the boy....

Got an email back from a scrounge I'd written off. :) Went Sun AM and picked up a big trailer load of maple! Figure there's about 2 cords on board. Brings my scrounge total to about 12 cords now, mostly maple, with some ash and yellow birch. Sitting now on next year's wood plus about half for 13/14.

Love this free heat! Well almost free, have about $250 in gas into it.

Fellow has an elm he's taking down this weekend and has given me the wood. Will have to fit that in around contractors and Christmas parties. :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.