Huge hardwood score off Craigslist.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Handsonautotech - hope those ashes next to the stove in the bucket are cold.

The ashes are usually not cold in the bucket. We leave them there to cool for a few days before dumping. I stir them before the dump and if they are warm at all then I fill it with water. The bucket keeps a good distance from combustibles and our girls learned right away to respect that entire area. The angle of hhe picture might make the bucket look closer then it is to the wood.

That is one hell of a pretty country view. Love it. Makes me feel all cowboyish inside.

Thanks, I have been contemplating boots and a hat for those formal occasions.

The ashes are usually not cold in the bucket. We leave them there to cool for a few days before dumping. I stir them before the dump and if they are warm at all then I fill it with water. The bucket keeps a good distance from combustibles and our girls learned right away to respect that entire area. The angle of hhe picture might make the bucket look closer then it is to the wood.
Get a metal bucket with a lid, keep the ashes outside, if they are warm that means there still burning, still burning means they are releasing CO as a by-product, CO poisoning is no joke!!

Absolutely get those ashes outside. Kenny is spot on, warm ashes equal Carbon Monoxide.

Just echoing . . . it's a very good idea to bring all ash outside for potential coaling issues (you never know if a pet may knock the pail over for example -- and if nothing else that would make a big mess) and for the aforementioned CO issues.

I bring all of my ash outside and dump it into a covered metal pail on a non-combustible surface (and away from all combustibles). Depending on the time of year, after a few days I'll dump it in a pile out back or spread it on my ice-covered driveway.

I am surrounded by combustibles outside so we started soaking them in water outside of letting the stove burn out during the day. I have to order new ash buckets.

I picked up a new ash bucket with a lid. Thanks for the advice.

She had a new drop off for me. This one had leaves on it. Can anyone ID this for me ?

20161021_071746.jpg 20161021_071726.jpg

It is very wet and very heavy.

Pics area bit blurry and hard to discern. The first leaf kind of looks like a torn up red oak leaf, but the buds look more like willow. The leaves, branch structure and bark in the second pic look more like willow. I would lean willow, but clearer close ups of leafs and end grain and a broader bark pic would make it 100%.

Pics area bit blurry and hard to discern. The first leaf kind of looks like a torn up red oak leaf, but the buds look more like willow. The leaves, branch structure and bark in the second pic look more like willow. I would lean willow, but clearer close ups of leafs and end grain and a broader bark pic would make it 100%.

Is it possible I have two different trees there? I have already cut them into rounds and they have been tossed into the mixed pile, so I think it is too late for a better picture. I will grab better pics next time I do a pick up.

Is it possible I have two different trees there?
I'm sure it's possible. You would prob no better than me. If any of it was oak you should be able to see medullary rays in the end grain. Some are more pronounced than others, but usually visible.
Rays2.jpg

Man the wife is really getting into it now. She found a nice pile of maple and some what I think is silver birch. I will post a pic of what I think is silver birch in a bit, it has a very distinct bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.