Huge Shagbark Hickory Nuts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Loft32

Nov 19, 2008
Emmitsburg MD
B4E76F0D-DA88-40FC-B9D8-7CCB8DBD3B66.jpeg
Does anybody have any idea what these huge nuts are (in the photo on the left)? The nuts on the right are normal Shagbark Hickory nuts from our forest. But I discovered this really huge old tree, that appears to be a Shagbark Hickory in a cemetery here in Frederick Maryland. The tree is very old and in a position that gets lots of sun. Could this possibly be hickory nuts?!

Reactions: rottiman
Will pecan grow in MD?

Well I looked and all I could find was that the northern pecan was native to Maryland. I did find this too.

I would assume that their are plenty of pecans that have been planted up there for their fruit. I'm not positive it is a pecan, that was just my first thought.