Humidity in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what they cost, the filters in mine work great.
They get a bit crusty towards the end of the season, but that is what they are for.
Yeah, it was great price, I was very luck. Brand new in opened box, but no manual. Which I finally found online.

so i received my Humidifier today, my question is how long does it take to increase the humidity, i turned it on 3 hours ago, i set it to 40%. The machine tells the real time humidity, but dose not read below 20%. So for the last 3 hours it still says 20, for all i know i could of had 10% in here, it deff, was dry in here. i have about 1200sq ft down stairs and about 800 up. What should i expect for it to rise every hour, its a 9 gallon output machine. I put the machine in my kitchen. Should i give it 24 hrs to see if it rises?

Theres a lot of variables in play. Humidity inside the house, outside, how many times the doors open and close, how tight the house is, etc. you wont get a definitive answer of 3-5 hours etc.

As for the humidity readings I would not trust the humidifier solely. If you're that concerned with the humidity then I would suggest getting a second instrument to read humidity to compare. Otherwise you can just see if you notice any differences like static shocks or if your lips, nose mouth don't feel as dry.

I would keep an eye on the humidifier and make sure at some point it does shut off. I had an older humidifier that was doing the same thing, it always read 20% and never shut off. I think the humidistat was not calibrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.