Hung Up Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The first cherry mother nature can take care of, the second I'll take care of this summer.

zap 100_4818.JPG100_4823.JPG

Nice open woods for dropping trees - I've been dropping in a thick stand. Cheers!

that'll make some nice BTU's not to mention a great smell when burning. Do you have a lot of cherry up in your woods Zap? I cut a huge black cherry down last winter during maple season (standing dead) and haven't cut one since...

Loaded with Cherry, the second Cherry pictured I'm thinking about milling depending on what the heart looks like.
zap

Reactions: ScotO
That would be nice! Hey, regarding your hanger problem, I have a couple of ways of cutting them, and you could use your machine and a long rope or strap to help get the job done. Rig a rope on the upper part of where you are going to cut (on leaners I like to cut off 4-6' sections off at a time). Have your machine (or another pulling device such as a person) off a safe distance to the side. Next, cut a small wedge on the side opposite the person or machine (your cuts will be on the SIDES of the log, not the top and bottom). Finally, do a back cut in line with your wedge cut on the pulling side. Leave at least an inch or two of material there as a hinge. Now your ready to pull the hanger, and it will snap off that four foot section, and you just repeat the process. Eventually you should be able to pull the leaner off of the hanger tree. I wouldn't recommend this for really large trees, but for smaller ones it works pretty good. Just take your time and be safe....

Oh how I wish we lived closer zap. I'd come over and we'd have those trees down fast and would not have to do any pulling either.

The second Cherry should be fine, looking from behind it will drop to the left. The first Cherry I worry about the broken off hung up maple, I'll give mother nature another summer & winter or however long it takes.

zap

How's the boss feeling?

She is still a bit frustrated. Wants to be able to do more. However, everyone else thinks she is doing just fine. She is doing so good in fact that she is already scheduled for the hip replacement in a few weeks. She was surprised for some reason today when she realized it has only been a month since the surgery. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.