Huskee 22 lovejoy coupler bushing replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I discovered earlier this year that my 6 fingered rubber isolation bushing between the pump and the engine had become a 3 fingered bushing after only a few years of service. You can and should check on the condition of this rubber bushing by looking at the lovejoy and making sure that there is a rubber block between every metal finger of the lovejoy. No metal on metal as I show in the photo.

The part is cheap, like 10$, and was in stock at my local tractor supply store.

Remove and replace. Pretty easy.

If I was desperate I believe that I could have rotated the spider one position so that the three remaining rubber blocks would be in between the drive fingers of the engine side and the driven fingers of the pump but meh, it's cheap and just as easy to replace the worn part.

I made no effort to reset the end gap of the lovejoy which would have involved loosening the set screws and sliding the coupler around on the shaft. Oh and you must drop the pump out or lift the engine up since the shafts of each are too close together to allow you to slip the rubber spider out otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 411
Had mine go on my splitter .We have no hardware store close by.
Took it apart and found a piece of convyer belting and cut one from that. 3 years and 24 cords later and it's still working.

I had to do the same, not too many cords ago. It happens and is an intentional wear item. If let go for too long it will trash the lovejoy couplers requiring replacement.

I had to do the same, not too many cords ago. It happens and is an intentional wear item. If let go for too long it will trash the lovejoy couplers requiring replacement.

I was really surprised at the short life of this item but fortunately the replacement part was available, cheap, and easy to replace. You just need to keep an eye out for it!

I have ideas to replace the pump and engine with upgraded parts but by using good synthetic 5w40 and changing parts like this, the silly flathead briggs and 13 gpm pump might just last.

I have the same feelings. If any major component goes south on me, it will be upgraded to a 22 GPM pump and appropriate engine.

ETA: The lovejoy spider lasted for quite a few years on mine. Estimated at well over 50 cord. Proper alignment of the coupler will make or break the lifespan of the spider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun
I have the same feelings. If any major component goes south on me, it will be upgraded to a 22 GPM pump and appropriate engine.

ETA: The lovejoy spider lasted for quite a few years on mine. Estimated at well over 50 cord. Proper alignment of the coupler will make or break the lifespan of the spider.

Since you've been in there, I have a question. The new bushing had little rubber tits on it that I suspect were put there to hold a little end clearance between the coupler halves. I did not remove either coupler so I did not reset this end clearance. The little rubber tits cause the rub blocks to tilt a little bit. Looks like the coupler is slightly smashed.

Did you notice those tits? Remove them? or even reset the end gap to accommodate them?

I didn't do anything except bolt it back together. The tight fit of all of the parts seems to self align the assembly. Once before I attached a wide hose clamp over the fingers of the coupling to align it better.

For upgrades I was looking at the HF predator horizontal shaft engine and a 16 gpm pump. A little faster would be good.