Hydraulic Splitter Valve???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have an older central hydraulics splitter roughly 20 yrs old. Valve body is leaking and has broken parts. I bought a $100 valve from northern tool and itwas perfect but it worked right backward with the detent in the splitting direction. and to change this would require some serious fabrication. Does anyone know of another source for a valve besides the prince unit from northern.

A pic of the valve installation may help in determining if a simple relocation would work. If you want to use a different splitter valve, Energy or Brand hydraulics have reversible handles.

pic would help.
Reversing the handle changes direction, but then you would have the detent on the extend direction.
You need to reverse the connections from valve to cylinder. Can you make some hose or tube? cheaper than a new valve maybe.

Should be able to just switch the two cylinder hoses at the valve unless I totaly misunderstand the problem.

"A" Side of valve is connected directly to the cylinder Via short straight fitting. To change this would mean moving the valve which would either require a good amount of fabrication on my part or having a less than desirable handle position. I have since looked at the energy brand valve and I beleive it will work. I plan to find one today. Thanks

The problem you are having is probably due to the valve being wrong for the type of installation . Valves come in various combinations; single, double, or no detent. The detent may also vary as to which port is controlled. The average Energy valve may not work for your specific situation either. The A port on most Prince splitter valves would be attached to the rear of the cylinder and the B port would be attached to the rod end of the cylinder. The B port has the detent for the return stroke.
I believe with your installation attaching the B port to the rod end of the cylinder with the handle towards the rear of the cylinder will correct the problem although adding about 6 inches to your reach.

If the valve port direct mounts to the cylinder port (assuming at the rod end), with a tube from the other port to the cylinder closed end, can you use the same nipple or adaptor, but move the valve two inches and use the other valve port. Then make a new hose to replace the tube. Basically switch the adaptors in the valve port, get the right valve port on the right cylinder port, and make a new hose to connect up the closed end of the cylinder.

Possibly the detent mechanism inside the end cap can be flipped (stays on the same read end of spool, but flipped to detent when spool is pushed in instead of pulled out, or vice versa), but that might not be possible with a low priced valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.