Help with DHT detent valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
My splitter is a 22 ton DHT log splitter. The detent valve is leaking oil from the back of the valve. Picture attached. It also doesn't hold the auto return all the time or sometimes at all. I would like to know if the valve can be rebuilt. Is there an O ring replacement kit. If not is there a replacement other than the factory replacement that DHT offers fot 100 bucks
20190203_121742.jpg

Might be an O ring, but since the detent does not always hold it tells me it is worn. You could pull it apart and see or just replace it now.

My older MTD had an Energy valve I replaced. Probably not much difference in the quality of what is on yours. I would recommend going with a Prince valve if you decide to replace it. The Prince valves have readily available parts, adjustable detent, and can be rebuilt.
ba2c9e364e8af34023240816a5da4140.jpg
40fdda8815c0550c613cd5d4508b1e16.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: kevin j
When swapping out control valves on splitters where the valve is directly mounted to the cylinder, the extend and retract ports have to be identified as they are reversed on various brands. On the DHT's and Energy valves the port nearest the handle is the retract port. On the Prince and some other valves the port nearest the handle is the extend port.

When swapping out control valves on splitters where the valve is directly mounted to the cylinder, the extend and retract ports have to be identified as they are reversed on various brands. On the DHT's and Energy valves the port nearest the handle is the retract port. On the Prince and some other valves the port nearest the handle is the extend port.
Excellent point! On my splitter which had the Energy valve, when I replaced it with the Prince, I needed to purchase a longer hose for this reason. I opted to mount the new valve directly to the cylinder to avoid extra 90 degree fittings. Just remember, the more 90 degree bends you have equates to more heat.

I can add a closeup pic if you need one.

When swapping out valves is there anything specific you need to do before removing the lines? Or is it just remove them and lift them up so they don’t leak everywhere.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

my auto return acted all weird because the c-clip had come loose, and the bolts on the end were not super tight. i know they had some issues with their hose fittings leaking, but I haven't seen this one leak. then again, i have the little plastic cover that come on it, so I never thought to check :)

Thanks for the super heads up.. appreciate you passing on the knowledge
Ill be ordering a valve.

When swapping out valves is there anything specific you need to do before removing the lines? Or is it just remove them and lift them up so they don’t leak everywhere.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
I just removes them.... Let the lines drain a little... and tightened them up to the new valve. I have a filter on the return line to catch anything I missed. I used thread sealant. You shouldn't lose much fluid...

Once you have everything snug, crank the engine a few times to bleed air out of the lines (pull spark plug wire). You'll be good to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tegbert