I am not a pig....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by HD today and all they had of course is GS, so I looked for the upper left corner, well all could see is a date.
Like 04-06-13, does that mean there from VT?
Upper left corner front of the bag is NH, Upper left corner back of the bag is NY mills.

Reactions: DuelburnJake
subsailer makes 3 so! ::-)

brainsol is an official pig IMHO! No first frost yet either. imacman and bear will read ya your riot act.
Put dis in your sig!

"Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club" OINK OINK!!

Reactions: briansol
I found the Barefoots to be a good pellet but not worth the extra price. I also found that while I was burning the Barefoots, I was testing out a few bags, I heard continuous "popping" coming from the stove - more specifically the auger. That being the case I stayed away.
good to know thanks, now I don't feel soo bad that I didn't get them

jeanine , personally , i wouldn't buy any of the brands you mentioned except stove chow and green teams . i've tried all of them except infernos . stove chow med or better heat and ash and one of the best bargain pellets i've found . green teams , great heat and no ash problems here . folks here loved them til the price went up , but they don't seem to realize that most of the great exotic pellets you hear about here aren't available in many of our areas and if they are that they are $320 per ton .

try before you buy doesn't really work if your trying before it gets cold out , they all work great when it's 55 .

hey my opinion , but i strongly urge you to do your own testing . every stove and situation is different .
Thanks, I guess ill find out soon enough what works best for me. I have not found green teams here yet?? but will continue to search :)
best of luck

Are the barefoot pellets really worth the price , well around here anyway only one place has them and they are 335 a ton and 85 delivery
Not sure, but from all the past reviews and best pellet posts they always seem to be on these lists. I would love to try them. Where in LI are you, Nassau or Suffolk? I grew up in Freeport.

I found the Barefoots to be a good pellet but not worth the extra price. I also found that while I was burning the Barefoots, I was testing out a few bags, I heard continuous "popping" coming from the stove - more specifically the auger. That being the case I stayed away.
auger pops are usually due to fines. clean out your auger.

subsailer makes 3 so! ::-)

brainsol is an official pig IMHO! No first frost yet either. imacman and bear will read ya your riot act.
Put dis in your sig!

"Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club" OINK OINK!!
ugh. doing the sig changed required me to adhere to the new stupid sig rules :( I had to delete all the links to my manuals and my gear wouldn't fit. :(

pellet pig club has its benefits.... but so far its not been good. lol

Reactions: The Ds
ugh. doing the sig changed required me to adhere to the new stupid sig rules :( I had to delete all the links to my manuals and my gear wouldn't fit. :(

pellet pig club has its benefits.... but so far its not been good. lol

Same thing happened to me. Took me awhile to figure out it wasn't user error this time...welcome to the club!

Siffolk, one place has them but pricy and del is like 80 bucks!!
Suffolk, one place has them but pricy and del is like 80 bucks!!

You can order Barefoots from Liberty Biomass in Levitown if you're on Long Island. I just ordered 3 tons from them. It was $325/ton and delivery was $65. I live almost 40 miles from them so I assume that they'll deliver anywhere on the island.

I also recall reading about someone with auger noise with these pellets. I also have experienced this the couple of times I ran the stove. I'm not a pro as this is going to be my first year with the stove. However I do believe it is due to a large number of pellets in each bag being to long. Some of mine are hitting 2" in lenth. I'm pretty sure its the auger breaking the pellets and not due to fines as I have a brand new stove.

You can order Barefoots from Liberty Biomass in Levitown if you're on Long Island. I just ordered 3 tons from them. It was $325/ton and delivery was $65. I live almost 40 miles from them so I assume that they'll deliver anywhere on the island.

I also recall reading about someone with auger noise with these pellets. I also have experienced this the couple of times I ran the stove. I'm not a pro as this is going to be my first year with the stove. However I do believe it is due to a large number of pellets in each bag being to long. Some of mine are hitting 2" in lenth. I'm pretty sure its the auger breaking the pellets and not due to fines as I have a brand new stove.
o thank you for the tip, this is my first year with a pellet stove also good luck and enjoy!!!

You can order Barefoots from Liberty Biomass in Levitown if you're on Long Island. I just ordered 3 tons from them. It was $325/ton and delivery was $65.

So $347/ton.....WOW. :eek:

Hope those are gold plated.

Iceman. Thats what pellets go for on Long Island unless you buy from the box stores. Here is what I've found so far.

Okanagan Douglas Fir $380
Okanagan Platinum $345
Country Boy White Lightning $336
Turmans $335
Barefoots $325
Energex hardwood $280

Other than that you've got Lowes carrying North Americans (garbage from what I've read), American Wood Fibers, Pres-to-logs, and Timber woods for $209 and HD with Stove Chow at the same price.
I ended up buying the 3 tons of Barefoots because it was the dealer I pirchased the stove from. I also grabbed 10 bags of each of the various box store pellets giving me another ton. If my P61a burns any of them hot enough without a ton of ash then maybe I'll stick with them next year and save some $$$. This is my first year burning. Stove was installed last month so it's a crash course for me really. I really appreciate all the help and advice you veterans on this site give to us newbies.

for those prices, I'd be all over the chow and presto's for 209.

AWF or Prest O Log for $209 would be a winner in my book. Would still have something hotter around for the really frigid days, but would make the majority of my stash the prestos or AWF if I were you.

for those prices, I'd be all over the chow and presto's for 209.

x2 on the prestos.......just got a ton of green letter liggies for 209.00{ they dont deliver,so 2 -10 mile round trips/half ton each trip/ and the deed was done}......we like the ptl's also........also,we have tried 1 bag of AWF white pine pellets{our first softies.....hard to find here in SW Pa.} and they burn incredibly clean and hot.......Based on that 1 bag test of them,we went back and got 1.5 tons more{2-60 mile round trips} they were 234.00 a ton.........Seeing what most of y'all pay for pellets,Debbye and I feel very fortunate to have the selection we have within 30 miles of home...
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.