I cut and burnt some pine!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why I use wax instead of TNT. TNT makes a mess.

HeatsTwice said:
Thats why I use wax instead of TNT. TNT makes a mess.
I put a rifle cartridge in my mom's cookstove when I was a kid and blew the lid off it. My father couldn't really wup my ass cuz he had to 'fess up to doing the exact same thing when he was a kid. Guess the acorn didn't fall far from the tree.

I think that skinnykid needs to post again on this "pine burning disease"--just so we can all be assured he didn`t burn his house down. He last posted on this "diseased subject" on Nov.12. :lol:

CowboyAndy said:
skinnykid said:
I am alive, it has been warm here the last couple of days!!!

Thanks

ya, but how many chimney fires have you had since then?!?! 3? 6? 12?

I've been burning sappy pine for a month now. This weekend I decided to sweep my chimney just to see what it looked like inside and to see what came out. Short answer : soot.

My class A 8" 16 foot stainless steel chimney allows ample opportunity for creosote to condense near the top of the run. But nope, not even after burning a 1/2 cord of pine. I'm still going to keep an eye on things by sweeping every month or so. But this idea of burning pine means instant chimney fire is bogus. But a great way to convince your neighbor to pay you to remove his pine.

If you choose to burn pine, you should:

1)clean your chimney twice a day
2)have the fire department park outside your house 24/7
3)sacrifice your first born
4)dance naked on your roof when the sun is at its highest point
5)not burn more than 1 piece at a time, maximum diameter of 2"

If you follow these steps it might please the gods enough to reduce your chances of a chimney fire from 'definitly' to 'possibly'.

Sleep tight!

CowboyAndy said:

If you follow these steps it might please the gods enough to reduce your chances of a chimney fire from 'definitly' to 'possibly'.

Sleep tight!

Great job on the pine rules!
All people should follow them as if law!

As for me I'm an outlaw and choose to live dangerously!

Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:

Sleep tight!

I think we need to do our good deeds to society, and go out and get all the pine from people so they don't burn down their houses.

WE WOULD BE HEROES!!!

CowboyAndy said:
Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:

Sleep tight!

I think we need to do our good deeds to society, and go out and get all the pine from people so they don't burn down their houses.

WE WOULD BE HEROES!!!

We could save the world!!!!
1 home at a time!
Do you think we could get them to help with the splitting and stacking though? It's the least they could do since we saved them from burning their houses down.

Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:
Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:

Sleep tight!

WE WOULD BE HEROES!!!

1 home at a time!
Do you think we could get them to help with the splitting and stacking though? It's the least they could do since we saved them from burning their houses down.

I've done my part today to save the world. I took this picture 4 hours ago. 2 hours ago I took it all home. There was a lot more off camera. All of it pine. 4 truck loads with the bed riding on the leaf springs each trip.

They will sing songs about me.

Attachments

• CIMG3114.compressed.JPG
    CIMG3114.compressed.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 266
HeatsTwice said:
Now, if you REALLY want to start your fire:

1) Put your chain saw dust under the leaky hydrolic cylinder of your splitter.
2) Split 1/2 a cord of wood.
3) take that now drenched saw dust and put it in all the holes of a cup cake tray.
4) buy old candles from garage sales for pennies on the dollar.
5) melt wax and pour it on top of the hydrolic fluid soaked saw dust in cup cake tray until each hole is full.
6) Wait till each saw dust/wax cup cake is dry. They will fall right out of the tray (won't stick since wax shrinks).
7) put single cup cake on top of pine which is on top of hard wood.
8) put single lit match on top of cup cake.
9) come back in 10 minutes to see fire very much going.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I just take a bucket full of saw dust from my table saw or chain saw & dampen it with #2 fuel oil.
Maybe a pint or a pint & 1/2 of #2 fuel oil depending on the size & amount of saw dust in the bucket.
Lightly damp is good enough!!
The saw dust color changes from light wood colored to a darker oilier shade.
The darker the color,the more fuel oil that you have put in.

You can always add more saw dust if you put in too much fuel oil the first time you try it.
You don't need much fuel oil, just a medium dampness at most.
Now ,I use a small hand garden spade to shovel the fire starter (fuel oil dampened saw dust)
all over the wood I want to lite & touch a match to it.

Instant fire!!

The saw dust starts burning slowly but quickly spreads & then burns fast for about 10 minutes.

You could use one newspaper twist to start the oil dampened saw dust, if you want, but this is not necessary as 1 match will do it.

been doing this all this year with never a problem.

About 2 gallons of fuel oil or desal fuel will make fire starter for the entire burning season.

Dont put this oil soaked saw dust on hot embers as (the embers) vaporizes the fuel oil & the vapor stinks & the fumes (vapors are more flamable that the oil soaked saw dust.

Start out with less oil dampened saw dust until you see how it burns & get an idea what 2 expect.

I dont use a pan or anything, because it is only lightly moist, not dripping, just shovel it on 2 the wood, but use it spairingly until you learn its ways.

A lot faster & less effort than crumpling newspaper.

HeatsTwice said:
Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:
Bubbavh said:
CowboyAndy said:

Sleep tight!

WE WOULD BE HEROES!!!

1 home at a time!

I've done my part today to save the world. I took this picture 4 hours ago. 2 hours ago I took it all home. There was a lot more off camera. All of it pine. 4 truck loads with the bed riding on the leaf springs each trip.

They will sing songs about me.

Dude, thats a nice score!

I am going to be cutting up some on sunday with a guy I work with... theres a big ass pine down behind where i work, plus a few downed blue spruces... easy access, easy score.

I have to say that anytime some one has free pine I'm all over it. I like burning pine since there's less ask and just as much heat created. So I stuff twice the # of logs in the stove! who cares!

not me.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.