I did get my wood covered after 2 days sunshine...and then it poured

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my wood covered by the skin of my teeth. It had been sunny going on 2 days and the ends of the logs were starting to crack again. I looked at the sky and saw black thunderheads, so i rushed 3 tarps on my 6X27" pile. (4 cords) And as I went to find the last tarp it did start to rain very hard and i did get soaked, but I feel good as i was able to accomplish what everyone is talking about. that is: getting their wood covered and dried.

Let some beech lay out in the sun spread out cause my wife complains i dont let her help stack. So i wait and wait and you can guess what happened. Sure enough she blames me.

Man this rain is a trip.I had my driest wood sunning for the last two days without rain.I was hoping to get a third day of sun on the wood and left it uncovered.Almost made it then while at work almost at the end of the work day it poured all over my dry wood.That's what I get for putting too much trust in the weather reports which said the rain would be in the evening giving me time to get home and cover my stacks.

JPapiPE said:
I just got my wood covered by the skin of my teeth. It had been sunny going on 2 days and the ends of the logs were starting to crack again. I looked at the sky and saw black thunderheads, so i rushed 3 tarps on my 6X27" pile. (4 cords) And as I went to find the last tarp it did start to rain very hard and i did get soaked, but I feel good as i was able to accomplish what everyone is talking about. that is: getting their wood covered and dried.

I've been thinking about this for some time (6-8 weeks), with some design/ engineering work, a system could be created to draw moisture from wood to speed up dehumidifying. Some of the design constraints would be an enclosure to isolate enviromental conditions, enclosure size, I think 1 cord or less would be ideal to draw moisture out. If anyone in the NH/MA line wants to discuss this I'm all open. In the mean time I'll get the patent applications going :)

Frank

If you dont mind the electric bill an enclosed room with a window unit airconditioner which will cool the air removing moisture from the air making it drier. If i could just get away from the electricity part. Hum think think think

oilstinks said:
If you dont mind the electric bill an enclosed room with a window unit airconditioner which will cool the air removing moisture from the air making it drier. If i could just get away from the electricity part. Hum think think think

That might work. However, I was thinking of an dryer system which would work quicker. I use to be a design engineer for a commerical bakery in MA and they had a room dedicated to drying out bread to make breadcrumbs. It was 90F+ dry heat with a few fans blowing outwards.
Of course making one to dry wood out will cause your electric bill to jump unless you cna go solar

F

LONDONDERRY said:
oilstinks said:

That might work. However, I was thinking of an dryer system which would work quicker. I use to be a design engineer for a commerical bakery in MA and they had a room dedicated to drying out bread to make breadcrumbs. It was 90F+ dry heat with a few fans blowing outwards.
Of course making one to dry wood out will cause your electric bill to jump unless you cna go solar

F

but i 10000 btu a/c in a 12x14 room might reduce bugs and work ....90 and dry hmmmm would work to but how do you get air in if the fans are blowing out....with a heater i guess but i think it would be less on the elec with ac or dehumid ....hmm ineteresting we should try both

Remember!! You need to find a way to dry that wood that dosnt use much energy that your trying to save by burning that wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.