I Found the Holy Grail (a Fiskars Super Splitter).....in Canada!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2009
Ontario
Hi Everyone,

I have been in the market for getting a Super Splitter (SS) for a while. In Canada, there are retailers that sell every Fiskars axe except the SS. I contacted Fiskars North American office and even the Finland office. They all stated that the SS has not been ordered by any supplier in Canada. Therefore, it is not sold in Canada. I contacted the various retailers in Canada that sold the other Fiskars axes. They could not special order me one either.

I did have the option to order one from the US. However, being economically efficient (ie. cheap), a $45.00 SS in the US would cost me >$70.00, with shipping. My only ray of hope seemed to be within the Stihl Canada catalogue, which seemed to have a SS for sale. In the poor quality catalogue picture, it looked like a SS. It was catalogued as a "Professional" axe and weighed 4.4 lbs with a 29" handle.

So I ordered one, via my local Stihl dealer, after being told it had a 4 lb head, only to receive a Pro Splitter with a $60.00 price tag. I didn't buy it, since I already own a Pro that I bought at Canadian Tire for $40.00. However, then one guy at the dealership then remembered that they had another Fiskars axe, which had been sitting in the back of the shop since 2001. With my curiosity peaked, I asked to see it. Sure enough, it was a SS!

It was missing the plastic guard. After blowing 9 years of dust off, it looked unused, other than a minor dent on the edge, which probably came from being moved around or dropped in the shop. Nothing that I could not fix. I offered $25.00 and I am now the proud Canadian owner of a SS.

I assume that they were probably sold in Canada at that time. However, they were probably not that well known and didn't sell, which lead to them being taken off the Canadian market.

So I took my prize home, fixed the dented edge with a piece of wood and hammer, and sharpened it up with one of my sharpening stones. The edge looks like new and the axe works wonderfully! I just hope that Fiskars and the Canadian retailers get the message and sell the SS again in Canada. Until then, any Canadian looking for an SS, try your Stihl dealership. You never know!

now i feel stupid :long: i thought this whole time the one i bought at canadian tire was a ss but i guess it is only a pro. now this begs the question how much better does the ss split than the pro?

thanks for the link, yes mine is only the pro. am i going to get kicked off the site now that everyone knows i don't have a ss :cheese:

I ordered a SS via ebay and paid right at $30 for it. It arrived last week while I was on a business trip. My wife placed it in the garage. When I came home I went out to look at the SS and found that the dent in my F150 had miraculously healed itself. The only possible explanation was the close proximity of the Fixars Super Splitter!

I would like to know "Does Chuck Norris use a Super Splitter? If so, does he fear it?!"

Super Splitter can kick Chuck Norris' butt and reduce him to tears whereupon he runs home to his mother.

Kenster said:
Super Splitter can kick Chuck Norris' butt and reduce him to tears whereupon he runs home to his mother.
no you didn't!!!!

in all seriousness, the debate should be whether or not Chuck Norris could grow a tree that even he couldn't split with a Fiskars.

Status
Not open for further replies.