I got a big locus tree half the tree had brown leaves and not many pods this year is it drying or is it dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

happycamper

Mar 14, 2013
I got a big locust tree half the tree has brown leaves and not many pods
is the tree drying or is it already dead

Sounds like the tree is dying. Where are you?
Up here in the North Carolina mountains I used to have a lot of locust trees. A thousand or more, on my 48 acres.
And 20 years ago the blight hit, and they all died.
These days the only locusts are sprouts that came out of the stumps, of the trees I cut down 23 years ago.
These sprouts will get up about 25 feet high and then just conk out and die.

My first guess if it has leaves -- it's dying but not dead. Or just died.

20 years ago the blight hit, and they all died.
Did both Honeylocust and Black die? I didn't know about BL twenty years ago so I don't know if the blight was here. BLs are now growing fine, but I don't know about the Honey. My neighbor has a large, dead one that I'm gonna grab..a lot bigger than the shoots you are describing, maybe 18" diameter.

I don't know the honey locust from the black, just that, all my locusts are dead. I still have dozens of standing dead locust, near the road where I can cut it easily.