I hate doing things twice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I have two cords stacked on pallets on my west property line. It appears the groundhogs like using them for shelter between their holes. Anyway I noticed a nasty stink coming from that way, after taking a closer look the flies led me to the stacks. It appears one of them got caught up under the stack somehow or was injured and died under them. I had to move wood from two of the pallets to get the rotting groundhog out. So now I'm going to remove all the wood from the pallets and re-stack with the pallets up on cinder blocks. I have six cords in single rows stacked on cinder blocks and 2x4's in another location that work well so I'm going to follow that idea with the pallets.

Now if I can get some cooler weather to work in!

I'll be sure to post up some pictures when I'm done.

Leave him sit and rot, so you lose a few pieces of wood...

he'll dry out just like the wood. I'd leave him and chalk another one up to natural selection. I wonder how many BTUs you can get from a groundhog at about 12% moisture content.....

Danno77 said:
he'll dry out just like the wood. I'd leave him and chalk another one up to natural selection. I wonder how many BTUs you can get from a groundhog at about 12% moisture content.....

Yup. And they don't smell when they're frozen.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Danno77 said:

Matt

Also more likely to be removed in one piece if frozen. :)

Shari

If it was me, don't fret. Leave it. I as well hate doing things twice.

KC

Shari said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Danno77 said:

Matt

Also more likely to be removed in one piece if frozen. :)

Shari

Shari, that's an EXCELLENT point.
Perhaps, just this one time, we can forgo the usual "w/o pics, it didn't happen" mantra?! Not that I'm squeamish or anything.

I already removed him, the stink was just awful. It's on the west property line and with predominately west winds around here it made being in the back yard unbearable.

I'd remove it too. Just be thankful it wasn't a skunk!

Speaking of moving things twice, I had move a little less than a cord of wood because we wanted to put up one of those simple carports. Now I may have to move that again... Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.