I have stand alone Quadra Fire Santa Fe- Renting a house with a stone fireplace. Can I use it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtgirl

Sep 15, 2010
Plattsburgh, NY
Hey-

I'm renting a house this winter. I have a Quadra Fire Santa Fe stand alone pellet stove that I used last winter and loved.
I would like to use it again, but I can't make any permanent modifications to the hearth.
I want to put it on the raised hearth in front of the fireplace.
The hearth goes out maybe 21" in front of the fireplace and the fireplace itself is about 20" deep.
The height clearance is about 24" tall from the floor of the fireplace to the top rim of the fireplace (for the pipe to go into the fireplace and then 90deg turn up the chimney.)
The stove just fits on the hearth with not much room to spare.
The hearth and fireplace is all stone.
These are the clearance diagrams:

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Santa-Fe-Pellet-Stove.aspx?page=Specifications#

The floor in front of the fireplace is carpeted.
I am handy and have access to tools.

What are my options?

I asked the stove guy and he said I'd have to run 4" stove pipe all the way up the chimney (split level house) and build a surround in back of the stove to keep the heat in - total cost of like $500-600.

I would be getting my pellets from the energy co-op at $249/ton delivered.
The house has natural gas @ $1.41/therm, and I'm not sure if it's worth all the install hassle when I have natural gas available.
I do love sitting in front of the stove at night though- and it's a long winter in Burlington, VT. So that's worth a good deal to me too.

Thanks for your ideas!

NG may be cheaper but, like vtgirl sez, nothing better than cuddling in front of the fire.

You should be able to use it. I would extend the hearth with fireproof material, manual says 6" in front from surface of glass. 2nd use the EVL chart on page 12 to determine what size pipe you need to use. I'm not sure of your altitude but looks like you would be safe with 3" pipe up to about 30' or more. I say this because vertical rise equals 1/2' of pipe. A split level usually doesn't have more than 20' of chimney, however for ease of maintainence and use 4" would be best imo.

You'll be good with 3" pipe. I have a sante fe insert and 17' of pipe. It draws just fine. If you terminate the top of the chimney with a plate through which the pipe goes and then a storm collar and cap, you may not have to close off the fireplace opening. Of course, a visit to a HVAC guy (tin knocker) with the dimensions of the opening should get you a plate with the edges bent over 90 degrees that should slip right in there and be gasketed in place. Of course, you cut the 3" hole where needed. Flat black paint it and good to go.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies!

I ran the numbers on the calculator and it's true that NG does come out cheaper. Thank you Smoke Show for that.

However, although it's a bit more expensive to install and fuel, I think I would feel better about using a local pellet fuel from VT.
Also I just read a not-so-flattering article about proposed NG hydrofracking the Marcellus shale in upstate NY, so that's fresh in my mind also.

It's always tough when you have to make choices that involve more than just plain economics.
It's not like I have all the money in the world, so I have to be somewhat sensible.
But I guess we all have to choose priorities.

I will have to call the HVAC guy and have him come over and check out the situation.

If anyone else has any ideas keep 'em coming.

Thanks!

If you didn't want the cost of the liner and surround, you could find you a used Buck stove (or similar) fire wood insert cheap and burn FAR Wood. :) Ain't nothing wrong with backing up to a FAR in Winter!!! You would have to mess with cord wood which can be a little messy. If you have or could borrow a chainsaw and have a place to find wood free, all you would have is an aching back and no fuel cost and no liner cost.

Just another option.
AR

Amen to ARGlock. I couldn't give away my two far wood inserts. They are still sitting up at the pellet stove dealer gathering dust and wasps. Just put the Sante Fe on the hearth, pipe it up and put a fireproof fancy half moon rug on the floor in front of it. There is another option on the piping. The instructions show that you can run a pipe just beyond the smoke shelf and block off the smoke shelf with a metal plate. If you are getting the HVAC guy over, give him that option too. It would be much cheaper. Then you don't need the fireplace opening closed off.

HOLD ON,

You might not even be able to legally install that unit. You do not own that house.

You need to check all kinds of things first.

Good point SmokeyTheBear, OP best make sure the landlords insurance will except the stove or it's a deal killer. As long its installed to code and inspected. It should go. Not sure I would do a self install here. Might get a pro. Could save lots of hassle's for you.

To heck with the landlords insurance, both the landlord and the town (whatever) also have a say.

If one of my tenants had installed any heating device in a unit of mine without clearing it with me they would have been evicted.

I assumed the landlord was in acceptance. Town would be the inspector. Bears getting grumpy, close to hibernating season? :cheese:

j-takeman said:
I assumed the landlord was in acceptance. Town would be the inspector. Bears getting grumpy, close to hibernating season? :cheese:

It is getting close to hibernation season and I still haven't rolled enough apple orchards so I'm hungry, that coupled with having been a landlord where tenants thought they could do such things in violation of their rental/lease agreements and various city codes is sufficient reason for me to appear grumpy.

We declared the end to tomato processing season yesterday. My larder has close to three hundred jars of home grown yummies, my youngest even gave me some decent sardines for my birthday.

Next up is freezer camp day.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

It is getting close to hibernation season and I still haven't rolled enough apple orchards so I'm hungry, that coupled with having been a landlord where tenants thought they could do such things in violation of their rental/lease agreements and various city codes is sufficient reason for me to appear grumpy.

We declared the end to tomato processing season yesterday. My larder has close to three hundred jars of home grown yummies, my youngest even gave me some decent sardines for my birthday.

Next up is freezer camp day.

I know who's cupboards to raid! :) A few tomatoes a bit green, But very close to done. We had 39ºF this morning. Heading to the orchard this weekend for pie stocks and applesauce. We had a banner year for the garden. Loads of goodies stocked up for the winter. Don't really want an end to summer, but were ready when it does. Nice chatting with Mr Bear! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.