i just want to brag on my work lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice stove, I have the T5 and the final selling point for me was the close clearances it allows for. Curious to hear how you end up liking the T4.

I'd do one small fire with just a 4-5, 2" thick sticks (seasoned of course). That will be to drive any moisture out of the firebrick. Then go ahead and fire it up to 550F stovetop temp with at least a half load of good seasoned wood. Once the fire is burning vigorously you can start turning down the air, 50% at a time, but not to the point of killing the flame. This will encourage secondary combustion and a hotter stove top. Open a couple windows and put a fan in one blowing out to exhaust fumes from the paint baking in. Repeat if necessary.

Note that the Alderlea's cast iron jacket paint is not what is baking in, except for the door. The steel stove body's surface inside the c-i jacket is what's baking. You never see this. Our Alderlea is going on 10 yrs old and the paint looks good still.

All weekend was breaking it in. i think we did a good job at it. we thought it was all done, had the smoke one day and then some light smells for a few burns, letting it cool completely inside and out. Then i went for the gold and really stoked it! the curing smoke came one more time with that one lol. But i let it cool off completely again. it was funny because our whole town was unhappy we had a spring snow storm, and me and my family were the only ones happy about it. :) Made for a relaxing holiday weekend! had three naps Woot Woot

Nice stove, I have the T5 and the final selling point for me was the close clearances it allows for. Curious to hear how you end up liking the T4.
I really like it, I love that it has the same size viewing screen as the t-5 but half the depth. works perfect for my house and the hearth pad I created.

Get yourself a hearth rug if you don't want the main rug to have burn spots in it.