I love oak !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makers Mark

Dec 14, 2013
Southern Appalachian
71 degree difference in house and outside. 72 in house and 1 outside really cold for the sunny south.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yelp. Oak is hard to beat when it's really cold. I don't normally cut living oaks where I live. (Try to leave them for the animals) but it'snice to come across a standing dead now and then, just takes longer to season than anything else I have available.

I my neck of the woods that's all we have, oak. It's burns so nice.

We have 40 acres on Lookout Mountain and have been cutting oak and hickory that are starting to get hollow at the bottom. Like you we leave the healthy ones.

late last year a large oak fell due to terrific winds, noticed it was a healthy tree but with the rain soak it got for days, it blew down taking with it the power lines and three poles, we went dark for roughly 24 hours. I can't wait to burn it. I don't usually get to burn oak.

71 degree difference in house and outside. 72 in house and 1 outside really cold for the sunny south.

For sure lots of us had some big temperature ranges. I remember that one morning we had -12 and it was 78 in the house. Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.