I need a new fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fan for my BIS is quickly dieing. The only store around here wanted over $ 220 several years ago when this one was purchased. I am wondering if anyone here can recommend an online source for this fan? Preferably a company that you have dealt with and had a positive experience. The fan part number is UZY3.

thanks

Don

Don, have you tried oiling the motor bearings to see if that is the issue? If it must be replaced, see if you can actually see the fan motor and get the mfg. info off of it. You may be able to find a less expensive replacement or substitute. Look for info like Fasco xx3xxxxx for a model number on the motor.

So I called the nearest dealer, he tells me the replacement fan is now a UZY5 and quotes me $ 425.00 plus tax (5%). Good news is they have them in stock!! After I come out of shock, I decided to have a second look to see if my old one can be repaired (at least to get me to the end of the heating season).

I cleaned it up and oiled it with some Walters cutting oil. Seems to run quite now, but I am unsure how long this will last. Will it stand up in the heat? Can someone provide some advice as to what type of oil works well with brass bushings? there are no bearings in this fan, just those oil impregnated bushings.

thanks BeGreen for the idea of oiling and the links from Dave1 - I will definitely order one online if this one starts to make noise again.

:bug: :gulp:

Ok, fwiw give these folks a try.

American Sleeve Bearing -

"The leading manufacturer of standard inch and metric sleeve bearings
and bushings in the world.
"

1 Spring Street
Stafford Springs, CT 06076
phone - 800-969-2721 - Fax - 800-969-5966
http://www.asbbearings.com/contact_ASB_bearings.html

Google Dayton, they sell fans. I think they even have a fireplace division.

Try the local mom and pop electric motor repair. You know the one from the 1950s that grew up out of the garage and stayed there. There are always a few around due to the low overhead. You would be surprised how little they can often get a new motor for compared to the retailer. I replaced the Coleman blower motor on my rental trailer 2 years ago. Trailer place wanted 290 another place 250 and I got a Dayton from them for 135. It pays to look around. If they can't then slip em a 10 to cross reference the PN so you can get one from Grainger if you can't do it yourself. Those manufacturers don't make it easy but you can sometimes goodle the PN's on the net and get a result.

hi don,

how about some Marvel Mystery Oil? i can remember my dad using this on EVERYTHING. i dont know how it will stand up to heat, but its worth a go.

mike

northof54th said:
So I called the nearest dealer, he tells me the replacement fan is now a UZY5 and quotes me $ 425.00 plus tax (5%). Good news is they have them in stock!! After I come out of shock, I decided to have a second look to see if my old one can be repaired (at least to get me to the end of the heating season).

I cleaned it up and oiled it with some Walters cutting oil. Seems to run quite now, but I am unsure how long this will last. Will it stand up in the heat? Can someone provide some advice as to what type of oil works well with brass bushings? there are no bearings in this fan, just those oil impregnated bushings.

thanks BeGreen for the idea of oiling and the links from Dave1 - I will definitely order one online if this one starts to make noise again.

Cutting oil is not made for lubricating bearings I suggest some straight weight 10w motor oil or perhaps 3in1 oil.. I use straight 10W oil (do not use muti-grade oil) to oil my fan motor annually and it has lasted about 10 yrs.

Ray

raybonz said:
Cutting oil is not made for lubricating bearings I suggest some straight weight 10w motor oil or perhaps 3in1 oil.. I use straight 10W oil (do not use muti-grade oil) to oil my fan motor annually and it has lasted about 10 yrs.

Ray

X2 - Cutting oil shouldn't be used. Good ol 3 in 1 will do the trick nicely. Use it fairly liberal a couple of times in short succession to wash that cutting oil away.

Sleeve bearings typically have a felt pad above them. About 10 drops of oil per pad should last awhile. Oil again at the end of the season so it can soak into the bearings over the summer. I agree with raybonz, use a lightweight oil and not cutting oil. 3 in 1 brand is fine if you don't want to get a quart of 10w.

OK so no more cutting oil - didn't work anyway. Ran quite for about 1 hour and then got the rattle back. I used the cutting oil because it was handy and it is suppose to handle high heat. Anyway moving on, I will go get some 3 in 1 oil and try that. Thanks for everyone's help.

The fan picked an OK time to pack it in as we are having daytime highs here of +8 C (46F). Very unusual for us. (thank you global warming!!)

Is there any motor identification on the motor? If would help to know the manuf. and the model if available.

If i decide to buy a new blower is there any reason that I have to exactly match up with what I have? As long as it fits in and moves some air what difference does it make?

In a BIS the fans just sit under the firebox and suck air in the lower front and blow it out the upper front having passed it by the firebox. Lots of room in there for any type of fan blower. Of course with the exception that it must be able to take the heat.

Also are all blowers OK to use with a blower style speed control or are there special ones for that? I have always used a blower speed control, could that be part of my problems?

I'm going to assume that the fan is just fine. If that's the case just take it to a motor shop and get the motor fixed or replaced.

Is there a mfg name on the motor like Fasco or GE or Emerson?

northof54th said:
The fan seems fine, but the bushing on the far side of it would be suspect. I will post a picture of this unit if I can figure out how to do it

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=brand&action=Go!&QueryString=fasco

Take a look here..

Ray

Here are some pictures of the unit. The bushing can be seen in the red cap on picture 3715

Attachments

• IMGP3713.JPG
    IMGP3713.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 802
  • IMGP3714.JPG
    IMGP3714.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 800
  • IMGP3715.JPG
    IMGP3715.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 885
The pictures are good. Looking up a unit or two now. Can you take one more shot that shows the motor label clearer? And if you can post the blower dimensions that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.