I need a small stove with a big punch!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think this model is kinda cute.

Attachments

• pej-1006ash.jpg
    pej-1006ash.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 398
Wolf, not a bad stove. There is a dealer not to far from me. I will call for a price.

I guess they guy who told me that just wants me to have what he thinks is the best

Or the one he makes the most profit from...

Well I went to the stove shop and looked at Lopi, Regency, Hearth stone, Jotul and others.

My favorite and what I think will work well for us is the Jotul F500 Oslo. Big fire box, over all stove dimensions will fit my room, nice design but big $$$.

Right now the shop is running a sale, that stove is 10% off this weekend and I here new for this year the Jotul have a blower kit.

And the shop will let me lay away all summer!!!

I want to compare fire box size from mine now to a possible new stove.

How do they measure square foot of a fire box?

cubic foot if L x W x H.

I'm not a stove builder, but it might not be as simple as that. The useable volume of the firebox for packing in a load of wood must surely stop at least just a bit short of the baffle or secondary tubes. Dunno. We need to hear from Corie or Mike or one of the other stove professionals as to just how the firebox size is figured. Rick

Rick, I thought you knew everything there is to know on the subject? I am actually a little shocked!

skinnykid said:
Rick, I thought you knew everything there is to know on the subject? I am actually a little shocked!

I know everything else, skinny. %-P Rick

ok I got it now

height x width x depth. convert those numbers to feet by dividing by 12 then x those three numbers= cubic feet

So if I go from a 1.5 to a 2.0 or 2.1 cubic foot firebox, do ya;ll think it will be a big difference in heat out put and burn times?

The F400 is ~1.5 cu ft., F500 ~2 cu ft. Confirm with the dealer that he can get the blower kit.

skinnykid said:
...So if I go from a 1.5 to a 2.0 or 2.1 cubic foot firebox, do ya;ll think it will be a big difference in heat out put and burn times?

Depends. How happy are you with the stove you have now? If you're only "marginally" happy with it, we'll call that being 50% happy, so you'd need to have twice the stove to be really really happy. If your "pretty" happy, then we'll call that 67% happy, and you'd only need 33% larger to be really really happy. Seems to me to be a number of things involved here. If you got a somewhat larger stove, you'd probably notice an improvement in the way it heats your living space, and certainly in burn time. If you got a somewaht larger stove with a blower, you'd most certainly notice an improvement in the way it gets heat out into your space. If you got a significantly larger stove with a blower, you just might be really really happy. On the one hand, a new stove is a significant outlay, so why make just an incremental improvement? On the other hand, why size your stove for the 100-year storm? Tough call, in some ways. Rick

I am only making a smaller improvement due to space provided to place a stove. The stove that I am looking at says it will heat 2000 square feet where my house is 1500.

The updated version of the stove I run now says it will heat 1400 square feet. I am sure the numbers are not exact but that is a pretty big diffrance.

So if the numbers are close to advertised, I am getting a slightly larger stove than I need, and still look "cute" and NOW Jotul offers are blower system that would really help if I need it.

I have a Jotul 500, and do not know of a better stove for my purposes. With the rear heat shield and double wall pipe the clearances are very good, the size and accessibility of the firebox are both excellent, and I think it is one of the most attractive, best proportioned stoves out there. But in a corner installation? I dunno. Yes it has that big front door, but as other owners can attest, it dumps ashes every time you open it. See, that famous air-wash system (which really does work, by the way) also "washes" ashes right behind the front door where they will fall out every time. Now, having said that, I only open that door on rare occasions, so it may well be that if you open it for every load it is not so bad. If you can use the side door instead, well and good - the 500 may very well have the best side door loading on the market.

As I noted above, the blower/heat shield combo is amazingly quiet. Seriously, it may not make much more noise than the air intake when it is running.

Mark

Jotul, thank you for the write up. That really helps. I just gotta show the G/F what I want to put on lay-a-way tonight and see if she approves.
She understands that we need a bigger/better stove, it helps that she is always cold so more heat is attractive to her!

So would you say that it is worth the steep $$. right now the shop near me is running a 10 % off deal on that stove. I tried to get a free blower but no such luck.

Would you say that the blower really moves the air? the blower on my little quad does well but it is loud!

Any more info would be great!

thanks.

[quote author="skinnykid" date="1232095903"]the measurements that the Englander site gives me on the 13-NC confuse me!

quote]

in what way do the measurements confuse you , if you explain how i could likely clarify for you. or if you have specific questions on my product line i'd be happy to answer.

I thought I was confused but am not. It was late when I was researching last night.

Thank you

FWIW, I was debating between the Jotul 450 and 550 inserts last year. After much coaching from the folks on hearth.com, I went with the bigger insert. So happy I did. Very happy my Jotul. It works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.