I painted my stove with the wrong paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Foxielady1

Sep 28, 2021
Manchester
Hi
I painted my multi fuel stove with Heat Resistant Matt Black paint for the first two coats but picked up chalkboard paint by mistake for the third coat. What will happen and can I paint over it with the heat resistant paint to fix it. Please help, it is getting colder and I need to use the fire ASAP. Thank you.

Yes its going to throw off a lot of smoke and smoke out the house for months. The smoke is possibly toxic. My guess is its going to be major project to clear off unless you got lucky and the new paint did not bond well to underlying paint. Its messy but there are citrus based strippers that can be used indoors. Citristrip is one brand. There are multiple YouTube videos on how to use it. Follow the instructions and take your time. You really do not need to repaint it this winter (which should be done outdoors and then seasoned) but as long as you keep it dry you can use it without paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob_Red
You need some metal brushes and soapy water, then a de-natured alcohol to clean that stuff off the stove, after cleaning you may want to burn the stove outside to get rid of any remaining paint (voc's) you dont want to paint over it hoping that the mistake will simply go away.

Do NOT light that stove until all the non heat resistant paint is off.

Rather than a stripper you may want to try to use a good quality Lacquer thinner to wash the old paint off. Can you find an autobody supply store near you? the stuff at the big box stores is not full strength.

Chemical stripper is hard core stuff and stove paint and or chalkboard paint is not very robust. Wet a rag with the thinner and work it into the paint it should start to wipe off. This will produce strong fumes and gloves are mandatory.

Be careful as the thinner will run like water and will destroy any finish you get it on instantly. This may be beyond a do it your self project unless you are very familiar with working with stuff like this.

Either way this is a mess

That is why I recomended the citrus paint stripper, its non toxic and gel formulation. Its a lot more user friendly

See what the can suggests for clean up. The stuff I use suggests cleaning the surface with acetone. That cleans it well and takes a bit of the old paint off. Acetone is nasty stuff so I use a filtered respirator mask and only do small sections at a time with a fan in the window. For a large section like you have, I’d agree with the prior suggestions and try something non-toxic first and see if you get lucky. If it doesn’t work then try something stronger but make sure you have the right protective equipment.

If you have to wash the stove after stripping, you'll likely have a rusty stove to deal with. I would go the solvent route. Acetone on rags should make quick work of it. Just be sure to use gloves and do it in a well ventilated area.

Edit: just saw the post above mine. Yes, a respirator would be a good thing to wear. And don't throw the rags in the trash. Soak them in water and lay them out to dry before you dispose of them.

Last edited:
Maybe I've inhaled too much smoke in my life - no I definitely have. But, if heat was more important than esthetics, I would fire that thing and see what happens. Obviously, don't breathe the smoke. If it was in a place I could establish some serious, fan forced ventilation, and I could lay a decent fire that I could light and leave (depends on the stove), that's what I'd do. If that went okay, I'd do it a couple of more times and see if it stopped smoking / smelling. It's best to work your way up to "hotter than you'll ever need", just so it gets the smell thing out of it's system before it's the coldest day of the year and a problem to get fresh air.

Even with only stove paint, the above is exactly what I do anyway. The stove paint fumes give me a headache, and smell awful. I just burned the dust off of one of my stoves today, and I arranged to be mostly not present until the air cleared.

I looked at the MSDS of Rust-oleum Chalk Board paint, if that's what you have, and the hazardous products of decomposition are CO, CO2, and maybe NOx. Same as the stove and BBQ paint MSDS I looked at. Meh, wood has all those and more when you burn it. Do your own research based on exactly what you have.

Once cooked, you have to decide how you like the finish. If the top coat fails and chalks (pun intended), you might be able to wipe it off with a wet rag, or a step further - wet fine scotchbrite. If you have to go farther, you might find that once cooked, you can sand it some and recoat with stove paint with good results.

I guess if you wanted to get all scientific about it, you could paint a metal scrap with the process you used, simulate firing it and see what happens. If you don't like the results, you can then experiment with the fixes.

Personally, I'd risk making the whole thing maybe harder to strip, for the chance that I'll be fine once fired. Stripping and repainting from scratch is going to be a messy, smelly, labor intensive project. Firing it is just smelly, regardless of the paint used.

If it has to look perfect, I have no suggestions. I know a guy who prepped and painted a Jeep frame with pro urethane paint. It looked way over the top, for a daily driver vehicle, to me. He decided it didn't look as good as he wanted, so he stripped it and did it over - months. Different strokes!

Reactions: Highbeam
. I looked at the MSDS of Rust-oleum Chalk Board paint, if that's what you have, and the hazardous products of decomposition are CO, CO2, and maybe NOx. Same as the stove and BBQ paint MSDS I looked at. Meh, wood has all those and more when you burn it. Do your own research based on exactly what you have.

Your CO2 etc are products of *complete* combustion. You see smoke, it's not complete, and highly likely, VERY unhealthy. Moreover "CO, wood has that too"- CO kills.

Don't do this. It'll be far worse than off gassing stove paint. Because it won't be off gassing, it will be decomposing. You may even have a hard time getting the smell out if your room (couch, carpet) for weeks if not more. Firing your stove is not the same as burning off paint. Way too cool for that. It is smoldering, decomposing, resulting in a toxic mix. Likely containing metals too.

Just don't. This is why there are products to strip paint. Often nasty too, but less so than smoldering it off your stove, and risking over firing your stove in the process.

It's a standard black box type stove, I'd sand blast the wrongly painted parts, then paint properly.