I think I am baffled, just not skamoled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yo-tul

Mar 18, 2011
Ohio
I am a relative newbie to the wood stove world, but due to an installation error by the shop, I am on my second Jotul 550. The shop did the right thing and replaced the stove, but as I built a break in fire now that the weather has started to cool, I noticed something different. I can see up the flue liner. From the looks of this picture, I think they installed the baffles, but forgot to pull the skamol panels into place (thank you manual for the terminology). Any confirmation is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the image size, it is all I could get under the attachment limit.

Attachments

• Baffles3.jpg
    Baffles3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 328
Hard to see in the tiny image, but it sounds like you are correct. You should not be able to look up the flue exit.

The image is 75 x 75 pixels which would work for an avatar, but it's tiny for posting. The forum posts work better when the image size is more like 800-1000 pixels across.

Hey Yo, welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your issue but maybe you could elaborate? I'm having a Jotul 550 installed Sat. Sounds like you had a problem with your previous install. Was it hard to figure out if everything was properly installed and situated?

Anyone with advice please chime in. I'm hoping once it's in my living room it will be clear but want to know how the baffles and so forth should sit and how to remove secondary system for cleaning at sweep time. Lotta questions, little nervous. Guess I have to get into the manual again. Sorry for the rambling.

I think I am baffled, just not skamoled
:) So I am thinking what language is that. Then I read the post. Well done.

I was able to get a better picture sized up with different software. Hopefully this is easier to see. It appears to my untrained eye that they installed the baffles, but forgot to slide the skamol bricks (if they are bricks, I had a break-in fire going and was not about to reach up there - safety first). You can see what looks like the skamols resting on top of the baffles and hanging over the edge. I would think I should be able to reach up there once they are cooled and just pull them into place.

As for the problem with the first stove, they put the wrong chimney cap on, water ran down the flue liner and on to the stove top. That created a major sea of rust. They tried to fix it but the rust just crept out from under the paint and once the chemical change in the metal occured, it was like having the stink of another break-in fire when the rusted metal got hot. They did the right thing and replaced the stove.

That's much better. Yes, the panels are missing from the center. Looks like they spaced this out. I see the panel overlap on the right. Reach up there and see if you can find the rest of them. If so, they should slide over and into place.

Are the panels on this model stove one piece or two? I know the Oslo and firelight have one piece panels but the flue exit is to the rear not like the 550 right over the top. Good catch on the shops mistake, however this is the second tme they have been out? I would not have much faith in your shop after the last mistake.

If you look closely on the left you can see the corner of the second one and from the manual it appears that there should be two. My faith in the shop is definitely limited.

Very interesting to see the new style 550's. My 550 is a two piece solid cast iron baffle. Mine also has only two burn tubes, with holes drilled in the rear secondary supply acting as the third.

Yo-tul said:
I was able to get a better picture sized up with different software. Hopefully this is easier to see. It appears to my untrained eye that they installed the baffles, but forgot to slide the skamol bricks (if they are bricks, I had a break-in fire going and was not about to reach up there - safety first). You can see what looks like the skamols resting on top of the baffles and hanging over the edge. I would think I should be able to reach up there once they are cooled and just pull them into place.

As for the problem with the first stove, they put the wrong chimney cap on, water ran down the flue liner and on to the stove top. That created a major sea of rust. They tried to fix it but the rust just crept out from under the paint and once the chemical change in the metal occured, it was like having the stink of another break-in fire when the rusted metal got hot. They did the right thing and replaced the stove.

Well that stinks but at least you got them to replace it. You're smart to take matters in your own hands and figure out exactly how things are supposed to sit. Half these guys won't take the time to make sure everything is right.

Yo tul, let us know how the stove shop handles this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.