I thought it would fit....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
We have a new wood stove rule in the house. When in doubt leave it out. I thought maybe I could get one more split in but instead had to run through the house with a burning log because of my stupid mistake. Now my hand is burned and the house reeks of smoke. Oh well live and learn nothing to bad happened and I learned a valuable lesson.

Happened to me not to long ago. It will happen to every wood stove owner at some point. X3 on the welding gloves

Definitely getting welding gloves. I did have on some regular leather gloves but the thread burned off and opened up the seem giving me a little burn on my finger .

I always wear welding gloves when putting my hands in the stove.
Welding gloves and welding gloves. We've all been burnt one time or another.

BB's second rule of wood burning. Never open that stove door without the gloves on your hands.

BB's second rule of wood burning. Never open that stove door without the gloves on your hands.
Hell, I don't touch a split without putting gloves on. With the amount of wood I'm moving my hands become a painful, cracked, and dried out mess by the end of the winter without gloves.

Welding gloves;-)
That and a steel wood ash bucket by the stove...I have dumped out the kindling and put a half burning chunk in it before....may happen again.

Hell, I don't touch a split without putting gloves on.
not anymore....not just splinters but actual cuts like a knife from sharp bark

I thought it would fit....
That's what she said! ;lol

I always wear welding gloves when putting my hands in the stove.
Me too, except when I don't. . .Doh!

We have a new wood stove rule in the house. When in doubt leave it out. . .Oh well live and learn nothing to bad happened and I learned a valuable lesson.
Sounds like a good rule to me. I've had to pull a split out a time or two. Easy mistake in the Fireview. It will take a 20"+ split, but only inside the doorframe area. If it turns out to be too long to allow the door to close, you don't have much wiggle room. I keep a tape measure on the mantel; anything that looks close to 20" gets measured, then I sorta test fit the 20 before loading fully, ready to pull it back out immediately if it's too close.

Hell, I don't touch a split without putting gloves on. With the amount of wood I'm moving my hands become a painful, cracked, and dried out mess by the end of the winter without gloves.

My hands and fingers becaome painful, cracked and dried out with gloves

I've had a few pieces over the years that I have had to haul out of the stove, but even with flames already starting (because it's never the first piece that is too big) I've never had more than a tiny bit of fire on a log (and then only on ironwood, because the stringly flaky bark catches so fast) and have easily been able to place the log on the hearth and slap out any fire with my gloves, watch the log, and it's always been OK, fire totally out. Can't imagine running through the house with burning logs. Agree 100%, if your wood catches faster than you can get the logs out of the stove, then keep stainless or cast container for the log on the hearth, and put the log out at the hearth. A galvanized trash can and a pail of ashes would do the trick with the worst of logs.

I have the hearth gloves that go up to the elbow. Great for moving logs around.

Lol, I've done that too. Tried to jam it in there but it was just to long. I ran to the front door and threw it on the lawn. I guess that's what they call a red-neck meteor. ;)
If they don't fit, I put them aside and find the log that works. The rest go in the garage to be cut in half. Simple.

I used to have a neighbor with a Longwood stove. It would take 4' long pieces of wood. He kept a saw handy in the house to make a piece fit if it was too long.:)

My hands and fingers becaome painful, cracked and dried out with gloves

I've discovered that heating with hot air, or wood, makes my skin really, really dry. We tried every kind but ended up putting a pump bottle of Trader Joe's hand cream by every sink - slather on at every hand washing - seems to do the trick and I think the bottles are a bargain for a good quality product, like $4 each and they'll last you at least one year...

I had a similar mishap about a week ago, the log was too thick, and the bark had started to burn at one end. I grabbed the end that was sticking out of the stove, and threw it in the sink (about 10 feet from the stove) then turned water on it to put it out. It had dried out by the next reload so It was put in the stove.

Welding gloves;-)

Yup! They are fantastic. I am a delicate flower (ok, so I'm just a female but it sounds good right?), we keep the gloves in the hearth next to the insert. I rarely reload the fire without them. I also keep regular gloves next to the hearth for when I'm going doing to the garage to get more wood to bring inside - no pitch or splinters that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.