I turned on the heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Until last year all we had for heating was our propane furnace, and we always prepaid a year in advance, so the propane guy always made sure we were taken care of. When I was adding our room on I made the mistake of mentioning the wood stove we were adding. He jumped right on that with the comment "Are you trying to put me out of business?" It sure caught me off guard, I kind of stammered that it was for ambience only. Being naive I never thought about the impact it would have on our propane use and how I would get caught up in trying to reduce it.. Of course he still comes by, but I get very self conscious about my 12 foot chimney and all the wood stacks I'm accumulating...

I still have the voice mail saved from the propane company when they called to figure out why I wasn’t using as much propane the first year after installing my stove. I love that message.
I still use propane for my oven, hot water heater and dryer. But my monthly payment plan went from over $400/month for 10 months down to $40/month for 10 months.