ICC-RSF Focus 320?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SF18D

Mar 24, 2013
Indy, IN
Hello,
My wife and I are building a home in Indiana and my only requirement was that it have a wood fireplace. We're in the design process and I've been looking at some of the fireplaces and my wife told me that she only likes the square, clean face look. So, I've been researching the Lennox Brentwood LV, BIS Ultima CF (same fireplace) and I recently found the RSF Focus 320. I've done a search for the Focus 320 but cant find anything.

Does anyone here have the Focus? If so, how do you like it? Approximate cost?

The house will be about ~4700 sq ft, not including the basement and the fireplace will only provide supplemental heat.

Thanks for any info.
JL

you might also want to consider the pacific energy FP 30. It has to the same kind of look your after, but with a 3.0 cubic ft firebox. Because it's a Summit firebox it's a tried and true setup that can heat up to 3000 sq ft. The bonus to it over the some of the others is it can be install with a 6" ICC chimney system.

Go to the RSF ICC website for info about all their fireplaces. Their Rumford Renaissance is pretty remarkable. They also have fireplaces that can be connected to ducting systems for whole home heating.

you might also want to consider the pacific energy FP 30. It has to the same kind of look your after, but with a 3.0 cubic ft firebox. Because it's a Summit firebox it's a tried and true setup that can heat up to 3000 sq ft. The bonus to it over the some of the others is it can be install with a 6" ICC chimney system.

Have you sold any FP30s? Just wondering what the performance is like.

we have sold a couple FP30's and haven't had any complaints so far. Being that it truely is just a summit firebox in a zero clearance shell with a 6" chimney, it should run just like the stove. Long term my only issue with them is going to be fan replacements when they are fully stoned in, as the only way to the fan is through the area where the lower louvre are.

we have sold a couple FP30's and haven't had any complaints so far. Being that it truely is just a summit firebox in a zero clearance shell with a 6" chimney, it should run just like the stove. Long term my only issue with them is going to be fan replacements when they are fully stoned in, as the only way to the fan is through the area where the lower louvre are.

In lieu of placing the fan inside the firebox, could you install a gravity duct and place the fan motor away from the area. Perhaps under the floor(basement) or in another room? I would definitely be wanting to tie the heat in with my HVAC ducting.

Regarding the stone work on the front. Is it possible to lay the stone veneer on a lath right up to the door? Similar to what can be done with the RSF Opel and Focus 350.

unfortunatley as far as i know the only fan is what the factory put in the unit at the factory. As of yet i don't think they have a kit to allow you to hook to existing HVAC. Yes you can do the clean face option with the FP30 but you have to add a clean face kit and graveity vent kits simular to the RSF so that you have convection flow in the unit.

That's too bad they set things up that way. I suppose you could add an aftermarket blower connected to one of the gravity outlets if the firebox fan ever conked out?

Good to know they make a clean face kit, although I couldn't find it on their web site. I would like to see how it comes together with respect to the door clearances.

I see that the FP uses a 6" chimney. Any combustion related advantage with the smaller pipe? Slower burn?

Thanks

Most 3 cu ft stoves like the Summit take a 6" flue. The FP30 uses the Summit's firebox. The advantage is reduced installation cost and a balanced burn. The disadvantage is that this fireplace is designed as a heater only. You can not run it with the door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.