Identify insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeddie

Jan 2, 2011
Augusta, ga
First off, hello to everyone. I am new to this site and I am just overwhelmed with the knowledge I am learning from it. My wife is already calling me a "wood nerd". I have a EZ Insert Model ez36ct. I would like to find out some info on it. I have searched and searched all over the web for info but I can not come up with anything. It says on the data plate that it is a wood/coal insert. Can I really burn coal in it? I have a rutland thermometer on it as shown in the pic but I do not believe it is not accurate. I am planning on getting a ir gun very soon. What are normal burn temps for this model? How long can I expect a burn to last? I know that a lot has to do with the wood but if someone knows the usual for this model I would greatly appreciate ANY info...Thanks again for all the knowledge that I have already gained from this site.

Attachments

• DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,146
ok soo maybe there just isnt any info on this insert. Today I pulled it out and saw that it is just vented straight into the chimney. No metal pipe or anything. Is this good or bad? Does that mean that it can burn somewhat at a higher temp? Is this insert a "slammer"?

HI JEDDIE

I HAVE THE SAME INSERT AND I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON THIS MODEL. I HAVE A QUESTION AND NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW OR NOT BUT THE BASE OF THIS INSERT APPEARS TO BE CEMENT, THE PROBLEM I AM NOTICING IS IT'S CRACKING UP AND BREAKING APART. DO YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM? LOOKING TO REPLACE IF I CAN. I ALSO LOOKED ON THE WEB FOR INFO ON THIS INSERT BUT CAME UP EMPTY HANDED. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, I JUST BURN WOOD IN IT, WE BOUGHT OUR HOUSE A YEAR AND HALF AGO AND FOR THE U/O INSPECTION THEY HAD A NEW LINER PUT IN BESIDES THAT NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. KEEP ME INFORMED IF YOU HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MODEL AND I'LL DO THE SAME.
THANKS

I haven't noticed any cracking in mine but I will look again since you have brought it to my attention. Hey at least you have a liner. Mine is just vented straight into the brick chimney. I hope to upgrade next and install a liner then. If I find any info I will definitely pass it on.

It's a slammer. Make sure you have your chimney swept--to do it right, the sweep will have to pull the insert out of the fireplace. You're proabably better off burning it a little on the hot side as slammers were notorious creosote makers. It will burn better if connected to a liner, but it's not unsafe as a slammer as long as you keep an eye on the creosote and get the chimney swept routinely.

Status
Not open for further replies.