If I ever buy another stove.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I think I'd seriously consider THIS one...........

Does your 90 not heat the house enough? The equinox is almost double the size and heat output.
How much wood are you set up to go through in one winter?

BLIMP said:
single air control,duh, does that control the secondary air too?

duh, what do you me thinxs? Love your edict!

north of 60 said:
BLIMP said:
single air control,duh, does that control the secondary air too?

duh, what do you me thinxs? Love your edict!
meseen some stove with auto secondary air control methinx

Wood Heat Stoves said:
i wish we had an ignore feature on this board....

We do. But isn't it more fun to not use it?

BLIMP said:
meseen some stove with auto secondary air control methinx

The new Woodstock will have one control, but it may effect both primary and secondary air inputs, though not proportionately. Not sure if that means thermostatic control like BK or not.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
branchburner said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
i wish we had an ignore feature on this board....

We do. But isn't it more fun to not use it?

oh, silly me, now i see it--thanks!

BTW, I enjoy your video stove clips a lot. Helpful and user friendly.

The Equinox sure is a beauty but Hearthstone lied about the fire box size, I measured 3.1 cu ft not 4, so I don't think it will heat much more than the stove you have now.

Our 90 is a wonderful stove. Only things I am rethinking are the chance we had to buy the soapstone and wondering if it truly is a benefit on some level (not to mention the cosmetic appeal), and the depth of the firebox. I wish our "90" was deeper, so my 18" logs would fit North/South without having to angle them.........I'd like a side door, too.

-Soupy1957

I have been curious to try a small Woodstock Keystone soapstone in our upstaris living room also Soup. I am waiting for Todds feedback on how low he can make his heat output. Either that or one of those Eden Pure heaters for that smaller space when we hit the -40s.
I thought the Equinox was one of the largest non-cat heaters out there. The 90 was a medium size I thought at 2.3 cuft.

north of 60 said:
I have been curious to try a small Woodstock Keystone soapstone in our upstaris living room also Soup. I am waiting for Todds feedback on how low he can make his heat output. Either that or one of those Eden Pure heaters for that smaller space when we hit the -40s.
I thought the Equinox was one of the largest non-cat heaters out there. The 90 was a medium size I thought at 2.3 cuft.

Why wait on me? Buy one, you can always send it back. I've already noticed the Keystone can be turned way down just like the Fireview. I don't think I'll need mine til the temps start to dip down below 10 or so. The Fireview can handle 90% of my heating needs but I use to run her a little harder than I'd have to now.

I don't think anyone can make a non cat burn clean enough with a box over 3 cu ft, It just can't stay hot enough for secondary burns. Yeah, Soupy has the medium, I was thinking he had the next size up.

soupy1957 said:
I wish our "90" was deeper, so my 18" logs would fit North/South without having to angle them.........I'd like a side door, too. -Soupy1957

That's what I don't like with my Napoleon 1100, I'm limited to 17" east west and that's the first piece 16" is just right - North - South I'm limited to 12" and that is tight.

Todd said:
I don't think anyone can make a non cat burn clean enough with a box over 3 cu ft, It just can't stay hot enough for secondary burns.

And the reason my 3.0cf firebox stove lights off secondary burn around 400 stove top, with or without zipper being zipped is what? Oh, maybe it is the fiberboard baffles. :lol:

You are getting as bad as Backwoods Savage about those little rock stoves. :coolsmirk: I guess all the worrying he did about being able to return his Woodstock if he didn't like it turned out to be a non-event.

Pass that big ass hunk of EQ stone over this way. It'll burn clean. Half loaded. Both the stove and me. :lol: Until the weight of the thing lands it in my basement.

BrotherBart said:
Pass that big ass hunk of EQ stone over this way. It'll burn clean. Half loaded.

I thought half-full stoves had trouble maintaining secondary burns, and that was the point of sizing out a stove without going too big, to max out your efficiency. Does your 30 do alright on a half-load?

Anyway, the Mansfield is big enough and looks close enough, to me. Not sure I'd pay an extra grand to have a stove that weighs more than a baby grand! (Hmm, maybe the Mansfield weighs more than a baby grand itself.)

If I ever buy another stove....

http://overstockstoves.com/50epacenowos.html

yhst-79442520702240_2117_1237729

Oh, wait ... I just did. It'll be here in 7 - 10 days %-P

Ya just do not have to pack a non-cat full to get a good burn and good heat. For most of the season I load the 30 like it is a two cf stove and it does just fine. Finally wobbled up and looked at the pipe to get ready to clean it from last season and I probably will clean it but it doesn't need it.

It is the wood, not the stove or the freakin cat on non-cat that makes the difference. Low and slow with good wood is just fine. It is just that the cat lovers never used good wood until they got scared that they would wreck the cat.

How many cats was that that you wrecked in that Fireview Tood? :lol:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Oh, wait ... I just did. It'll be here in 7 - 1-days %-P

You are doomed Dix. Non-insane priced steel non-cat with those flimsy fiber baffles. :lol:

You are destined to freeze to death this winter. Well, that or throw rocks at the PE insert. Only thing about the 13 is that you can't load N/S which is a pain.

The Dixette can hit a target at three hundred yards, she can burn in that stove.

How many cats was that that you wrecked in that Fireview Tood?

Err, "Exhalted One", cough, cough :p

BrotherBart said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Oh, wait ... I just did. It'll be here in 7 - 1-days %-P

You are doomed Dix. Non-insane priced steel non-cat with those flimsy fiber baffles. :lol:

You are destined to freeze to death this winter. Well, that or throw rocks at the PE insert. Only thing about the 13 is that you can't load N/S which is a pain.

The Dixette can hit a target at three hundred yards, she can burn in that stove.

Now, you tell me no N/S ?????
action-smiley-060.gif

I'm already thinking that the 13 will do the job most of the time, and that the PE will kick in when needed.

Good.

I've loaded this PE for 2 years, and the Dixette reaped the benfits with no work. Pay back time :)

BrotherBart said:
It is the wood, not the stove or the freakin cat on non-cat that makes the difference. Low and slow with good wood is just fine. It is just that the cat lovers never used good wood until they got scared that they would wreck the cat.

Ha, that cat line describes my brother! But he's still going to burn semi-seasoned ash in his cat, just 'cause it'll burn good, even though it's gonna have too much water in it.

I agree, it's the wood. That's why I think some pre-EPA burners get pretty good results, and plenty of EPA burners don't.

BrotherBart said:
Ya just do not have to pack a non-cat full to get a good burn and good heat. For most of the season I load the 30 like it is a two cf stove and it does just fine. Finally wobbled up and looked at the pipe to get ready to clean it from last season and I probably will clean it but it doesn't need it.

How many cats was that that you wrecked in that Fireview Tood? :lol:

Ha Ha, yeah I was a dumb ass burning wet wood and engaging too soon but I wouldn't say wrecked just cracked. Woodstock set me straight and sent me a free cat so live and learn. You will never know til you burn a cat stove BB. I know you want a Blaze King, it would put your stove to shame. You can modify your stove all you want but it will never be as good as a cat stove so you might as well break down and buy a new stove before the tax credit runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.