stmar Posted By stmar, Oct 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM

1. stmar

stmar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Wyo
    How long does your igniter usually last on average? Note stove model and igniter. Just curious, trying to figure if my alternative power has any effect.
    Mine usually lasts 3 years, the super igniter lasted 4 so not that big a deal.
    Stove = Whitfield P30
    Super igniter = 13-1117
    Standard igniter = 12150213

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Enviro ef 3
    2002 model (15 years old)
    original igniter
    only thing ever replaced was a combustion fan
    burn between 4 and 5 ton a year

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JRemington likes this.
  3. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Enviro ignitors tend to last long- both of mine from 2009 are on original equipment, except I changed the convection blower last season on my Empress, it was getty noisy- have it as a backup. It varies from Mfr to Mfr...

4. railfanron

railfanron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2013
    Loc:
    Perry MI
    Harman P43 4 years old going into 5th season. Runs on room temp auto 95% of the time and still on the original.
    Ron

5. Jake86

Jake86
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 8, 2015
    Loc:
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    My Castle Serenity pellet stove igniter lasted 2 years. Used the igniter quite a bit: on and off. Had it professionally replaced. expensive fix. Estimate 200+ cycles on and off.

6. glockshooter

glockshooter
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2010
    Loc:
    Wilkes-Barre PA
    Harman Accentra, got to be 10 years+. On my second igniter.

7. dw06

dw06
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2010
    Loc:
    SW Pa
    Harman P43 bought in dec 2010, still original igniter.

8. h2ochild

h2ochild
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    Pinelands of NJ
    England Stove Works PDVC's, two stoves, original igniters going on 6th season

9. kilogulf59

kilogulf59
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2017
    Loc:
    Juneau County WI
  10. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Good to know. Does not make me feel so bad about spending money on a new one... now spending 200 on the burn pot is a different story...lol

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

11. stmar

stmar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Wyo
    The Whitfield igniter is not finned like Kilo referenced, it is just a metal rod and I found one for about $35 so not bad even if it lasts only a year or two. Last few were well over $100 each. Are the Harman igniters finned?

12. kilogulf59

kilogulf59
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2017
    Loc:
    Juneau County WI
    Yes...reference the link in my post above.

13. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    the link you have is a good place to buy harman ignitors...
    but, be aware of the ones selling for around 39.00..
    they look identical but are Asian knockoffs.. I, DUMMY :eek: ] bought one and the white sheathing wore off within a few months or longer and in cleaning out the ignitor compartment..'Fingering the ash out as we say,
    i must have pushed the 'now' bare wire against the metal wall and blew it and the 6amp fuse...
    should be paying around 70.00 or so for the better made ones....
    [might have been me that posted that link in another thread].....
    btw:
    watched a video from same site a couple times and ended up being very easy to replace..

14. stellep

stellep
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 5, 2011
    Loc:
    Eastern MA
    3 igniters in 20 years. Probably due soon.

15. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    5 stoves, zero igniters 17yrs on quad, 15yrs on breckwell. Lopi and earth are manual, 13yrs on 25pdvc

16. UpStateNY

UpStateNY
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Catskill Mountains
    10 years Harman Advanced replaced igniter one time about 3 years ago.

Currently I have to clean out the clinker hard chunks before the igniter will work.

The few times the igniter fails to restart the flame and I see the pellets close to flowing over I use this bad boy.

MAP-Pro Gas Torch
    41XOkK%2BZc0L.jpg

17. GeHmTS

GeHmTS
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2013
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I have the same problem as you. It generally works after I vacuum out the igniter area, but it's still a pain that it doesn't work as advertised. I'm forced to burn 24/7 in room temp manual to keep the fire going.

18. kilogulf59

kilogulf59
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2017
    Loc:
    Juneau County WI
    So, based upon what I'm reading here, the igniter could go out today or when mammoths walk the earth again???

Ssyko likes this.
  19. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Yeah pretty much lmao

20. stellep

stellep
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 5, 2011
    Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Last time mine went out, I developed great skill in lighting the stove with hand sanitizer. No issue for me while I wait for the part.

21. jp99

jp99
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2015
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I think we see average values for times to replace items, and there are wide ranges of variation around them. In 10 years of owning my PC45 all I've replaced is a vacuum switch (known to be a bad batch in 2006-8) and my distribution blower. Not even replaced any door gaskets as they are still tight.

22. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    Quad Castille insert, still going strong after 10 plus years