Ignition Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
Looking for some input on ignition times of a load of wood. When you load up your EPA non-cat stove with hardwood, how long does it take to fully ignite and start a burn cycle? I'm usually looking at 10-20 minutes for my Jotul Castine.

Is that number from a cold start, having the fire ramp up, and knocking the air down until it's set for a long cruise?

In the case I mentioned, I usually hope to have at least 45 minutes,,,, just to be sure. In reality, I usually have things from a cold start to cruise set in about 25 to 30 mins. But, once in a while I don't get things positioned right, or the splits I'm using aren't perfect for a cold start,,, so I always make sure I give myself some wiggle room.

In all, if I I'm not confident I have the time to get it up and running correctly before I leave, I'll just make sure a secondary heat source keeps things from freezing before I get back.

Is that number from a cold start, having the fire ramp up, and knocking the air down until it's set for a long cruise?

In the case I mentioned, I usually hope to have at least 45 minutes,,,, just to be sure. In reality, I usually have things from a cold start to cruise set in about 25 to 30 mins. But, once in a while I don't get things positioned right, or the splits I'm using aren't perfect for a cold start,,, so I always make sure I give myself some wiggle room.

In all, if I I'm not confident I have the time to get it up and running correctly before I leave, I'll just make sure a secondary heat source keeps things from freezing before I get back.
Not from a cold start. Say I'm starting from another burn cycle. Stove has cooled to around 400 degrees and there is a small to moderate bed of coals.

Cold stat, no embers or hot coals: 30-60 minutes before I can safely leave the home and woodstove.

Reload, embers and/or hot coals: 10-30 minutes, depending on the size of the coals, before I can safely leave the home and woodstove.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
If I reloaded my stove at 400F as soon as I shut the door I'd be able to turn the air down half way and then down all the way within ten minutes! In most instances my stove is cruising at 400F and the firebox is already full of wood.

If I reloaded my stove at 400F as soon as I shut the door I'd be able to turn the air down half way and then down all the way within ten minutes! In most instances my stove is cruising at 400F and the firebox is already full of wood.

Is that with the WS Classic or the Jotul? I remember when I had the Fireview (sister stove to the Classic), loading at 400F meant the box still had a TON of coals in it - and I would only do that when it was SUPER cold out.

I was talking about the F600, but the Classic is pretty much the same, except with the Classic, as you mentioned, there wouldn't be much space for reloading at 400F.

The way this burning season is going, it actually looks like I might make it to Late December or even January before I need to reload a hot stove.

So far one full load per 24 hours from a cold stove is all that's been needed.

Same for me. Of course, spruce doesn't be long catching either.

At 400 it should take off pretty quick. If your wood is dry.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. I don't get immediate ignition but it sounds like things are right in line with just about everyone else. We burn mainly red oak, locust, and hickory as it is what is plentiful in Central VA. This is probably why it takes a good 10-20 minutes. In addition, It is super humid all drying season long and rarely does our firewood get below 18-20% moisture. In fact, most stays around 20-25%even when seasoned for several years in the sun. I'm sure my times are bit on the high side because of this.

For me, I all depends how I get the first 3 pieces going. And then getting the full stove going. For the most heat I add wood anytime there is room. The Oslo takes a few reload before you get the cast iron hot.
So about a hour before I'm cutting back air.

Not from a cold start. Say I'm starting from another burn cycle. Stove has cooled to around 400 degrees and there is a small to moderate bed of coals.
Normally I let the Castine get down to about 250-300F before reloading. 400F is not that cool. If I did a reload at 400F with our Castine or the T6 with the wood I am burning now the fire would be fully involved in a matter of a few minutes, five tops. That is with dry softwood. Hardwood will take longer to ignite. The time depends on the dryness and density of the wood.

Normally I let the Castine get down to about 250-300F before reloading. 400F is not that cool. If I did a reload at 400F with our Castine or the T6 with the wood I am burning now the fire would be fully involved in a matter of a few minutes, five tops. That is with dry softwood. Hardwood will take longer to ignite. The time depends on the dryness and density of the wood.
Good to hear. I've always felt that 400 mark is a bit high to reload at but it keeps us warm when it gets really cold. In moderate temperatures I do reload the stove around 250-300 so it's good to hear that's an acceptable practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.