I'm cold. and mad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
Our stove worked fine all weekend with the below zero wind chills.

woke up this morning and turned the thermostat down about 2 degrees.

old man filled the pellet hopper. pulled the cleaning rods.

I came in to the house smelling like smoke.

It is flashing the #2 error code on the panel which is one of the following:

a. door open longer than 60 seconds - NO
b. ash pan door open longer than 60 seconds - NO
c. combustion fan not running (defective fan or control board) - how do I tell?
d. vacuum switch defective - how do I tell?
e. vacuum hose disconected - NO, disconnected blew it out and reconnected.
f. vent system plugged with fly ash - NO, we took it all apart and cleaned, vacuumed and leaf blowered

I also cleaned everything, took the ceramic brick out and cleaned.

We tried to get the room blower fans out but could not so brought an air compressor in and blew the crap out of them.

blew out the other fan the same way. hit the high temp reset switch.

I give up. I just don't understand why it quit working.

bbfarm said:
Our stove worked fine all weekend with the below zero wind chills.

woke up this morning and turned the thermostat down about 2 degrees.

old man filled the pellet hopper. pulled the cleaning rods.

I came in to the house smelling like smoke.

It is flashing the #2 error code on the panel which is one of the following:

a. door open longer than 60 seconds - NO
b. ash pan door open longer than 60 seconds - NO
c. combustion fan not running (defective fan or control board) - how do I tell?
d. vacuum switch defective - how do I tell?
e. vacuum hose disconected - NO, disconnected blew it out and reconnected.
f. vent system plugged with fly ash - NO, we took it all apart and cleaned, vacuumed and leaf blowered

I also cleaned everything, took the ceramic brick out and cleaned.

We tried to get the room blower fans out but could not so brought an air compressor in and blew the crap out of them.

blew out the other fan the same way. hit the high temp reset switch.

I give up. I just don't understand why it quit working.

Hit the off button, pull the plug, wait about 10 seconds, plug it back in , wait about 10 seconds, and hit the on switch listen for the combustion motor and tell us what it does.

Which way did you blow through the vacuum hose?? The hose should be removed from the vacuum switch and blow in the hose towards the stove.

Do you have any electrical capability?

I did the unplug and retry thing a few times. one of the fans is going. I don't see the combution fan moving.

I did pull the hose from the vacuum switch and blew it into the stove.

no very electrical, I don't know how to use a volt meter or anything.

bbfarm said:
I did the unplug and retry thing a few times. one of the fans is going. I don't see the combution fan moving.

So are you saying the convection (room) fan is running?

yes that is the one I think is running.

I have got to get to bed, but will eagerly check out all advice in the morning.

I have been working on this thing for 4.5 hours and now have to get up for work in 6 hours.

bbfarm said:
.....I don't see the combution fan moving......

Well, if that's the case, there's the reason for your #2 error code. You may have to remove & clean the combustion blower & motor. Even if it uses ball bearing motors, you can still drip some oil into the side of them. Spinning the motor around by hand after that may free it up.

Do you have the stove on a good surge protector??

Also, what imacman suggested was a great idea. Clean and lube the combustion blower.

SmokeyTheBear said:
More problems than that folks, the convection fan shouldn't be on.

Thats why I asked about the surge protector??? I'm worried it could be Bad... Really Bad...... :roll:

Analog board convection fan runs right away, which do you have analog or digital?

Vacuum switch can be jumped just like snap disc, good luck.

bbfarm said:

i have a greenfield doing the same thing again. first time replaced the combustion fan, wasnt the problem,replaced control panel problem solved. now 4 months later doing the same thing again. waiting on the new control board from st croix. the original control board lasted 6 years, this one only lasted 4 months. if you hurry up and get the fan spinning with a small screwdriver it will take off,at least my will this way,the stove will run fine till it is started up again,due to the faulty control board not putting out enough volts to start the fan.

Duhh, obviously digital, dummy,

yes we have a surger protector on it.

now I am all confused. I can't remember if this is normal for the other fan to be on at start or not.

I will attempt to remove the fan and clean tonight.

how hard is it to spin the fan? it seems pretty hard to turn.

here is how the afton bay works. Turn on and the room fan and combustion fan comes on, then room fan shuts down until stove starts up and heat begins. Then you adjust temp as you want. If #2 is lit then the exhaust fan is NOT running. It is simple to remove with 5 small nuts to remove (remove only the fan motor itself be-careful of the fragile gasket) then take an old extension cord and cut off female end. attach wires from motor to cord black and white one (brown one does nothing). Taking the up most care set motor somewhere safe and plug into outlet and see if it spins. If not then you need a new motor or you can try oiling if to see if it frees up (unplug first). YOU MUST take extreme care while doing this so you don't get shocked. I will assure you i am 99% sure your exhaust fan is not turning and this is your problem. If so and you need a new one go to www.autorain and order one. If you need any other help with your stove let me know. I have had my afton bay for years and know it inside and out.

Your combustion fan seized, wish my Whitfield convection blower didnt come on till it warmed up, cold air blowing out kinda stinks, this is were the pellet builders improved whitfields design and took it a step further

Pellet-King said:
Your combustion fan seized, wish my Whitfield convection blower didnt come on till it warmed up, cold air blowing out kinda stinks, this is were the pellet builders improved whitfields design and took it a step further

You can modify your Whitfield so it doesn't do that. All you need is a 120 degree close on rise snap switch and a piece of wire. Mount the switch on a part of the stove that warms up slowly and wire it between the controller and convection fan blower. Then the fan won't come on until after it is warm enough to make heat.

Thank you so much woodsman! I will try this when I get home!

bbfarm said:
Thank you so much woodsman! I will try this when I get home!

PLEASE be careful when playing with electric, check double check then check again, let us know how things work out.........

I declare Woodsman23 the afton bay god!

We took out the exhaust fan and tested it like he said and nothing but humming and trying to move. It would only spin about 1/4 turn with finger.

I will call and order one tomorrow.

everyone on this site rocks! I have learned so much!

bbfarm said:
I declare Woodsman23 the afton bay god!

We took out the exhaust fan and tested it like he said and nothing but humming and trying to move. It would only spin about 1/4 turn with finger.

I will call and order one tomorrow.

everyone on this site rocks! I have learned so much!

Don't be surprised if there are other issues.

woodsman23 said:
here is how the afton bay works. Turn on and the room fan and combustion fan comes on, then room fan shuts down until stove starts up and heat begins. Then you adjust temp as you want. If #2 is lit then the exhaust fan is NOT running. It is simple to remove with 5 small nuts to remove (remove only the fan motor itself be-careful of the fragile gasket) then take an old extension cord and cut off female end. attach wires from motor to cord black and white one (brown one does nothing). Taking the up most care set motor somewhere safe and plug into outlet and see if it spins. If not then you need a new motor or you can try oiling if to see if it frees up (unplug first). YOU MUST take extreme care while doing this so you don't get shocked. I will assure you i am 99% sure your exhaust fan is not turning and this is your problem. If so and you need a new one go to www.autorain and order one. If you need any other help with your stove let me know. I have had my afton bay for years and know it inside and out.

Woodsman is correct. I'll just add that at startup, both blowers come on until the control sees the vacuum switch satisfied, then the room blower shuts off until the POF switch is made. I've gotten in the habit of listening for that sequence whenever I hear it start up.

A new combustion blower, and it will be good as new... Good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.