I'm thinking about buying a used Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Should I buy the used Harman XXV

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HonkeyKong

Nov 4, 2016
Syracuse NY
Hi, I recently found a Harman XXV on Craigslist and I've been thinking of replacing my wood stove. My question is if the stove is worth it. It's been through 8 seasons and looks like it's been very well maintained. It looks almost brand new. The owner has only done routine maintenance and it seems like he's been very meticulous. In my opinion is in great shape but I have no idea what kind of life span these stoves have. He's asking $1800 with 1 ton of pellets included. Good deal or no?

That's a good price for a GREAT stove. If you are a "tinkerer" & intend to learn what routine maintenance you need to perform on it, in order to keep it clean & running properly, you'll be happy with it. You need to Bond with a pellet stove. Not so much with a wood stove.

It is a very good stove and that's from an Enviro man
You will find a pellet stove has a lot more maintenance than a wood stove
But it is nice to get up in the morning to a warm house

The major components if cared for can go for a long time. I am primarily talking about the feed motor, exhaust fan and room fan. Keep the dust bunnies out of the windings. Each can be had for about $100 via Amazon or Ebay. Get a good surge protector or UPS to save the control board and that is the most expensive part of the stove and retails to up to $300. The common issue with the CB is the pot switches and a three pack is $27 and experience to solder them in. The exhaust sensing probe only has so many heat cycles but last pretty good, just don't bend them when cleaning. Igniters are pretty robust too on Harmans.
Good luck

Reactions: bags
Is the vent pipe included as well?

The pellets are worth $200 - $250 roughly......

So $1,600 for the stove is a pretty good deal. I bet you could get it all for $1,500. There are some people here running old Harman stoves. They last forever really but you might have to replace a part here or there which is no big deal nor huge expense if you do it yourself.

I went from wood to pellets and wondered why I ever messed with wood. LOL! I do still have wood heat here also and like it but it is a bunch of work all said and done.

I have a Harman xxv & i love it very good stove but the guys comments above are right . Keep this stove clean very important for long functionality. If you get a owners manual be sure to read it . This stove is pretty easy to clean . good deal!

Hi, I recently found a Harman XXV on Craigslist and I've been thinking of replacing my wood stove. My question is if the stove is worth it. It's been through 8 seasons and looks like it's been very well maintained. It looks almost brand new. The owner has only done routine maintenance and it seems like he's been very meticulous. In my opinion is in great shape but I have no idea what kind of life span these stoves have. He's asking $1800 with 1 ton of pellets included. Good deal or no?
Wondering how you made out? I too, am considering a used XXV. I am heating 900 sq ft.

The guy is asking $2100. Said he didn't use it much because he had another pellet stove, which sounds fishy to me. A Harman isn't an impulse buy that one would let sitting around. Then he tried to tell me "there's no pipe because it vents to the outside". How? Magic??? Finally he said there was a little bit of pipe.

One other question is if he doesn't have pipe, can i get the right size now? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pellet stove vent pipe should be 3 inch and is pretty much the standard for pellet stoves. Download the manuals and view some of the Youtube videos of cleaning and installing. Harman has some posted.

900 square feet is not a stretch to heat if the structure is moderately insulated

Pellet stove vent pipe should be 3 inch and is pretty much the standard for pellet stoves. Download the manuals and view some of the Youtube videos of cleaning and installing. Harman has some posted.

900 square feet is not a stretch to heat if the structure is moderately insulated
Would you say$2100 is in the ballpark for an old XXV? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word...YES!! My father has an XXV of the same vintage. He heats a 1300 sq ft A frame in NH with it. (3 - 4 ton per year depending on how cold) He does have a small propane monitor to heat the above ground basement. He cleans his once a week and it takes him about 20 mins. His stove is the reason I switched from a Hearthstone Soapstone woodstove to my current Harman Absolute63.

Mal

I use to burn wood. Bought a Harman 3 years ago and have never looked back. Enjoy!!