In-Home Power Monitor for 125v. During Generator Operation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'd like to see how much power I'm using during a generator operation, from the comfort of my home.
The generator I use most is 125v.
I've tried using a TED power monitor, but that really requires 240v.
I've fooled around with it, but couldn't get any readings I could make sense out of.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

A Kill-a-Watt meter will measure at the individual appliance. Otherwise, just measure when grid power is available and write that down. The load will be the same on the generator.

Thanks. I was actually trying to get a real time reading of total delivered power without going outside, or, alternatively, without adding up all the consumers. Kind of what the TED does.

Looking around just now, I've seen some wireless units on ebay that do 125v: one CT, two sets of batteries. Like 50 bucks. I'd need two.

Got it. Let us know what you end up getting and how it works out. I am wondering about the wireless range too. Our generator is about 60 ft away in the garage.

Do you have a smart electric meter? I do, able to see what’s going into the house, not real time but it’s close, can get it down to 15 min intervals.

Do you have a smart electric meter? I do, able to see what’s going into the house, not real time but it’s close, can get it down to 15 min intervals.
Ain't gonna do much good when on generator, lol.

Our generator is about 60 ft away in the garage.
For me, the point of connection would be at the breaker panel, I think.
It'd be wireless from the basement to the first floor, vs., the TED, which is powerline carrier.
I think the RV people would probably hardwire.

Even if I found something, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money that is infrequently used.

Google "digital ac power meter." I think you will find a good selection of what might work for you. Same search on Ebay for more power meters

An ammeter with the right CT works pretty well. Just multiply the CT ratio times the amps on the meter times your voltage is equal to watts. You could even label the meter with stickers to read watts directly.

I have this monitor. I use the online hub as well and have multiple sensors but this looks like it would work perfect. 2 ct sensors with a battery powered transmitter and standalone led display.

You could also connect it to your main panel and monitor tour whole house. The display is pretty quick were you can turn on a device and see exactly what it uses.
Screenshot_20191118-174115_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

As I've said, I have a TED1001 (ollld), monitoring whole house now on the utility mains, 240v.

I have a second TED1001, with mtu, that I'll see if I can connect to the generator input breaker. I think it'll work fine when I use the 240 volt generator.

I run a lot of the house through that same connection from a 120 volt generator. (I rigged up a cable). 120 volts powers each bus, but it's really the same leg, not two, like when 240 volts is used.

As I recall, I put a CT on each of the wires to the input breaker and got some weird results. The 'adapter' is on the genny end.

I wonder if I could measure neutral current instead.

I guess I'll revisit this and see if I can get it to read some good numbers. I just got a new genny, a Predator 3500 inverter, which has a little more oomph than my Honda EU2000i.

Thing is, I'll have to take an outage from utility supply...I'm sure there'll be a 'customer' complaint...or two...or three.

As background, a six year old thread:

Actually, I don't think a CT on the neutral would work, since the connection at the genny is floating, and bonded only at the panel.

I might have answered my own question...in 2011!
More proof that the mind is the first thing to go.

Reactions: coutufr
Well, I looked inside the panel. Both MTU's are blinking away, communicating with the display, and the genny CT's have their dots pointed in opposite directions. Just like they were 8 years ago, lol.

I figure, just thinking about a power outage has given me a couple more years grace. :)