Incoming Score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
Our neighbor is getting 4 trees taken down this week. Each of the trees are 30-40 feet tall, virtually straight, and not a lot of knots to deal with, and the base of the trees are about 20" across.
I believe it will be two poplar, an oak, and either a pine or another poplar...not sure which because he said he'd get his tree guy to cut the trees in 16"-18" lengths and have them stacked on the property line before he told me what they were. The brain shorted out a bit when he said that.
Also, he gave me about 15 rounds of pine that was laying in a brush pile. The outside is a little punky, but all the heartwood is still solid. All 20-30" in diameter. Pictures to follow because without them, it didn't happen.
The wifey rolled her eyes a bit when I told her about the wood, but when I reminded her the going price for cut & split wood is $200.00ish per cord, depending on the wood mix , she was more than ok with it.
She then asked if I would be be done scrounging wood for a while...I said "Yes, I think so," but she said it was not very convincing reply...:rolleyes::(:(:rolleyes:

"Hi...my name is HisTreeNut, and I have not scrounged any wood for 2 days..." :) ;) ;) :)

Last edited:
You can't beat that deal! My family knows I am a big fat liar when I tell them we are done scrounging and cutting for awhile...lol...that can all change in a heart beat...:)

It is a sweet deal for us both. My neighbor doesn't have to pay to have the service haul it off, and we don't have to pay for someone to deliver wood to us. Granted, I am going to have a bit of sweat equity into it, but that is more than worth it.
Getting a little excited... :) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffm1
Here is the start to the pine. Hacked off the punk and split what is still good. Still have 5 rounds to go...

EDIT: Actually 8...my son reminded me today we lost 3 rounds near/to the creek moving them away from the steep embankment they were on.

WP_20170303_001.jpg
More pictures to come...

Last edited:
The pile is started to gather on the property line today as I left for work The weather last week caused a bunch of downed trees so the neighbor's tree guy couldn't get there. Then it was cold and rainy...and such. Will get a picture tomorrow. Friday will be a S/S day [as long as the rain stays away...calling for it].

The first couple of trees...
WP_20170309_13_22_23_Pro.jpg
I think I heard my Fiskars drooling...:)

EDIT: This is just the oak...

Last edited:
:)

I see alot of work my 4way wedge would be doing..:):)::-);lol

Well, if you can be in NC tomorrow, you can help finish the oak and start on the poplar...:)::-);lol

WP_20170310_18_43_18_Pro.jpg

Here is today's workout, all ready for stacking. The kiddos are loving me...sort of.

Oh, the mystery tree is: Cherry! The Fiskars is earning her money this week.

Last edited:
My neighbor was up at 8:00 am moving over the Cherry & Poplar rounds. Not a morning person and the 40 something-ish person I am does not recover as quick as I used to.
WP_20170311_13_12_34_Pro.jpg
I spent a few more hours today splitting away...love the Fiskars & love how nice Cherry splits...poplar is easy splitting also.
WP_20170311_17_18_03_Pro.jpg
The poplar pile.
WP_20170311_17_18_24_Pro.jpg
The now larger pile of oak & cherry.
The kiddos still kind of love me...until they realize they have to start stacking all of this...;) :)

Nice score! I also suffer from firewood addiction....... obliviously I wouldn't be on the internet looking at pictures of firewood if I didn't [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Sweet score!! But it looks like you have a little bit to much, can you pallet some up and ship it to me :)

About 18 rounds left to go. Arms are a little tired and moving a little slower today. Had a little helper as well...likes to help Daddy with his "hammer." He usually good for a cute kid cord of wood.

WP_20170312_15_20_25_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170312_15_20_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170312_15_20_25_Pro.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerbait
Did a little more today...first time splitting frozen wood. I cannot say it split easier than non-frozen wood, but you could see ice crystals in the grain of the wood. Looked pretty neat, especially on the cherry splits. Pretty much the remaining pieces need to be cut a tad smaller, have many a knot in them, are funky ugly crotch pieces, and so on.
Still have some large oak rounds at a buddies house, or maybe I will rent a splitter if the accountant says it is ok...maybe I will get lucky and she'll buy me one ( just looked outside and no pigs are flying). Drat! ! !
More for the poplar pile...
WP_20170316_18_17_25_Pro.jpg
Added about 4 rounds to the cherry/oak pile.
WP_20170316_18_17_34_Pro.jpg

Stop scrounging? Yea sure honey........Then she walks outside and sees the truck filled with another load, It is for our neighbor I say. She shakes her head and walks inside. That night as the three year old cherry and maple keeps her warm in the Quad.......all is forgiven!!!

Well, we had a break from the rain enough where the kiddos & I could stack everything I have split recently. Worked all day but spoiled the kids...we moved the poplar first, then did the oak and cherry. Probably should have did the heavy wood first ;).
Here's the new stacks...
WP_20170401_18_51_59_Pro.jpg

EDIT: When I get the last of some oak from my friend's house, I will have 28 pallets of wood. Can't wait for more cold weather. :)

Last edited:
looks really nice! I did some moving over the weekend, and i got 6 pallets restacked out back, have another 8 to go through and move, plus a couple more to split and stack....

Thanks! We stacked about 4 cord according to the cord calculator on the sticky above. It was an all day affair and the kiddos slept good that night [not to mention me...the wifey threw a pillow at me and I did not move. Didn't move when she poked me or called my name. Decided since I was in such a deep sleep, probably shouldn't wake a sleeping giant ;) !!! !!! ;) ].
The next task is to clean up my main processing area. The wifey is due in 24 days and some friends are coming to visit in their RV, once the baby is born. Will need that space for them to park the RV and so we can still get in and out of the driveway.
It never ends, but the kiddos are getting lessons in splitting and stacking wood...and I joked with our niece that by the time we are done getting all the wood cleaned up, she will be well on her way to being a BMW...a Burly Mountain Woman. She just laughed. Anyhoo...

Funny, I wanted to clear out the driveway, since I have a friend living in his van there, our tenant needs to walk through there to get to her place, and with all the wood there, I can't drive past them to get to more wood!

Congrats on the Baby!

Congrats on the Baby!

Thanks! We are excited but the wifey is definitely done being pregnant. Cannot get comfy at all and the baby either goes under her ribs or kick-boxes on her bladder. We made a paper chain ring for our 3 1/2 year old because he doesn't understand time & 24 days means nothing to him. He keeps telling us he won't wake up the baby unless we tell him to. We tell him that more than likely, the baby will wake him up. He just gets a quizzical look on his face when he hears that. Little guy does not know what he is in for...:p :eek: :eek: :p