Indian Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
WOW!

What a great weather week we are having no need to light the stove...almost a record high temp in November.

Gave me a chance to reloaded my stock pile and split some wood with my new splitter.

don't even remember why they call it a Indian Summer...but I'm sure I'll find out.

md

Kinda off topic but a funny bumper sticker I saw yesterday had a pic of a Indian on it and said "All of my heroes killed cowboys."

LOL BB. I saw a great one a few years back, I was driving home on I-40 from CA and did a pit stop in Gallup. Pulled up behind a battered chevy pickup with a Navajo at the wheel, his bumper sticker said:

Everybody needs something to believe in.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Back on topic... this morning was my first "real" fire upstairs (more than just a take-the-chill-off quickey), the solar heater is working amazingly well.

Enjoy the warmth while it lasts md. Looks like ole man winter is going to be visiting you soon.

precaud said:
LOL BB. I saw a great one a few years back, I was driving home on I-40 from CA and did a pit stop in Gallup. Pulled up behind a battered chevy pickup with a Navajo at the wheel, his bumper sticker said:

Everybody needs something to believe in.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Back on topic... this morning was my first "real" fire upstairs (more than just a take-the-chill-off quickey), the solar heater is working amazingly well.

You're using less wood, aren't you?
Not gonna' say I told you so. :cheese:

PapaDave said:
You're using less wood, aren't you?
Not gonna' say I told you so. :cheese:

Is "almost none" the same as less? ;)

Ok, you're right so far. But I'm still holding off until January to say anything definitive...

Lighting Up said:
...don't even remember why they call it a Indian Summer...but I'm sure I'll find out.

It was called Indian Summer because the early pioneer settlers out on the fringe of early America were subjected to raids from American Indians to steal whatever they had, and sometimes kill in the process. When the weather turned cold, the Indian raids diminished and finally stopped. In a year when the warm weather lasted longer than normal, the Indian raids continued on later into the fall/winter than was typical. That's why it was called Indian Summer. These days, we think of it as a good thing. When it earned its name, it was a very bad thing, indeed. Rick

fossil said:
Lighting Up said:
...don't even remember why they call it a Indian Summer...but I'm sure I'll find out.

It was called Indian Summer because the early pioneer settlers out on the fringe of early America were subjected to raids from American Indians to steal whatever they had, and sometimes kill in the process. When the weather turned cold, the Indian raids diminished and finally stopped. In a year when the warm weather lasted longer than normal, the Indian raids continued on later into the fall/winter than was typical. That's why it was called Indian Summer. These days, we think of it as a good thing. When it earned its name, it was a very bad thing, indeed. Rick

Thanks Rick now I remember...who said forgetting things was a bad thing you get to learn it twice...
md

Yeah went golfing today and wore shorts, hoping same same tomorrow.

I can't believe it but I actually managed to get a painting project behind me! one I've been "postponing" all summer. Talk about a "bucket list"! low/mid 60s!

We'll take all of these days that we can. Trees are pretty much bare, getting a lot of "solar gain" so the house gets up to about 72 degrees during the day. But we drop to 65 inside at night, then we fire up.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
We'll take all of these days that we can. Trees are pretty much bare, getting a lot of "solar gain" so the house gets up to about 72 degrees during the day. But we drop to 65 inside at night, then we fire up.

Yes John another nice day today...went for a ride with the Jeep naked(top down)...With these nice days when the house temp drop for me at night the wife fires the stove up, kitchen stove that is, and bakes pies...cooks roasts even roast a turkey gotta love it... as it heats the house.
md

We had below normal temps in the NE so far this fall, it's about time. Rumor has it the week of Thanksgiving, there's an arctic blast that may penetrate the northern plains and New England. It's only a matter of time before it happens. Clean the gutters soon or you'll be dealing with leaves stuck in ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.