infra red coating on door glass of Jotul 3cb?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
I was changing the glass door gasket on my Jotul3 yesterday, wiped it nice and clean, got ready to replace the glass, then saw in the Jotul instructions to make sure that the "infra red"coating on the glass is facing outside. I could not for the life of me tell which was which, although the book said it was marked on the edge. Called a dealer who said it really didn't matter, not to worry. Is he right or just talking through his hat? Is there a way to tell and does it make a difference? And what in the world is this ceramic glass "infra red" mean and what does it do.?

Reactions: Valhalla
The replacement ceramic glass might not be infrared coated. If it is and you have a multi-meter, try a continuity test on both sides of the glass with the probes about 1" apart. The coated side should show some continuity because the IR coating is metallic and somewhat conductive. The uncoated side should show zero conductivity.

I was changing the glass door gasket on my Jotul3 yesterday, wiped it nice and clean, got ready to replace the glass, then saw in the Jotul instructions to make sure that the "infra red"coating on the glass is facing outside. I could not for the life of me tell which was which, although the book said it was marked on the edge. Called a dealer who said it really didn't matter, not to worry. Is he right or just talking through his hat? Is there a way to tell and does it make a difference? And what in the world is this ceramic glass "infra red" mean and what does it do.?

The coating is supposed to help keep the interior side of the glass hotter so crud doesn't build up.

It also changes the clearance necessary in front of the glass, as it keeps more heat in the stove....changed the front clearance on the Woodstock PH by at least four inches. I'd check directly with Jotul...it may be part of the necessary safety clearance system for the stated required floor protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.