Inherited old Dutchwest 455, first wood stove, advice appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteen

Oct 30, 2008
Northeast PA
I've been poking around the site for a few weeks because we're considering an insert, unfortunately that probably won't happen this year due to cost restraints. In the meantime, i've been using the old dutchwest 455 catalytic that came installed in the basement of our 20 year old house. I mostly use it on weekends and I've had to fix a few things due to years of neglect by the previous owner... like the fact that the bypass door that was stuck open due to rust and caked on grime but otherwise It puts out pretty decent heat. Generally, if i start it early saturday it starts warming up the upstairs in a couple hours and by nightfall its about 75 on the main floor (but 90 in the basement).

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips for this type of stove? Was it a halfway decent stove for its time? or should i look to upgrade it (or get a fireplace insert) as soon as possible. It's definitely got some wear and tear on it, but I'm hoping it'll safely get me through this winter so that I can consider getting an insert/better stove in the summer (when hopefully prices are more competitive).

I believe that the older dutchwest stoves that were made in Tawain had some poor castings and were prone to developing cracks. I would keep an eye on the stove, inspect it occasionally.

We have had a couple of Forum members that have had their 455 Sequoia's since they were new and report that they love them. They even took the ribbing about them looking like "Porta-Potties" quite well. :cheese:

It was the old Federal Airtights that got the bad rap.

And yes, before I start getting flamed, I know that their are a lot of very happy Dutchwest Federal owners out there burning in them every day and that they love them too.

hookspacken said:
I believe that the older dutchwest stoves that were made in Tawain had some poor castings and were prone to developing cracks. I would keep an eye on the stove, inspect it occasionally.

As far as the cracking goes... when i removed the cooktop to inspect the catalytic combuster, the cast hold down rod cracked. I currently have a new one on order... so no burning this weekend.

I'll keep an eye on it for additional cracks. I'm unlikely to invest any in additional money in it if anything else goes wrong, since I'd ideally like to buy an insert for the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.