Inspecting/Cleaning Catalytic Combustor in VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gridlock

Feb 13, 2010
New Paltz, NY
I recently installed a new VC Defiant Catalytic Model 1945. A few questions for folks experienced with this stove, or with CATs:

How often do you inspect the Catalytic Combuster?
How difficult is it to get to for inspection? Does it need to be removed?
How often do you clean it?
Do you have to remove it to clean it, and how difficult is it to remove?
Have often have you needed to replace it?
If replaced, how much did a new one cost? Have you tried an aftermarket brand like Condar? If so, did it work as well as an OEM unit?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Gridlock said:
I recently installed a new VC Defiant Catalytic Model 1945. A few questions for folks experienced with this stove, or with CATs:

How often do you inspect the Catalytic Combuster?
How difficult is it to get to for inspection? Does it need to be removed?
How often do you clean it?
Do you have to remove it to clean it, and how difficult is it to remove?
Have often have you needed to replace it?
If replaced, how much did a new one cost? Have you tried an aftermarket brand like Condar? If so, did it work as well as an OEM unit?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

We had a Defiant-Encore 2550--very similar to your stove. We would pull out the combustor at the end of every season to clean off any fly ash and inspect it for damage. We'd also soak it in a water/white vinegar mix to clean it, google "how to clean a combustor" for links on how to do this. In and of itself it's not to hard to remove, provided that your interior cast pieces are not warped and/or cracked. You basically tap out two retaining wedges that hold the lower fireback into place, remove the lower fireback, and then remove the combustor cover on the refractory box (VERY carefully--the cover and box are REALLY fragile!) and then slide the combustor out. It's not that hard to do and, once you've done it subsequent attempts are much easier/faster. Most people seem to average about 3-5 years on a combustor before they have to replace it, properly maintaining it and not fouling it by burning anything other than newspaper and firewood will help keep the combustor in good shape. I'm pretty sure that I have a copy of the service manual for a 1945, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you--it will give you step by step instructions on how to remove the combustor.

NP

Nonprophet said:
We had a Defiant-Encore 2550--very similar to your stove. We would pull out the combustor at the end of every season to clean off any fly ash and inspect it for damage. We'd also soak it in a water/white vinegar mix to clean it, google "how to clean a combustor" for links on how to do this. In and of itself it's not to hard to remove, provided that your interior cast pieces are not warped and/or cracked. You basically tap out two retaining wedges that hold the lower fireback into place, remove the lower fireback, and then remove the combustor cover on the refractory box (VERY carefully--the cover and box are REALLY fragile!) and then slide the combustor out. It's not that hard to do and, once you've done it subsequent attempts are much easier/faster. Most people seem to average about 3-5 years on a combustor before they have to replace it, properly maintaining it and not fouling it by burning anything other than newspaper and firewood will help keep the combustor in good shape. I'm pretty sure that I have a copy of the service manual for a 1945, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you--it will give you step by step instructions on how to remove the combustor.

NP
Thanks for the info. The instruction manual that came with the stove does describe removing the combustor, but is not very clear. Should I assume my instruction manual is the same as the 'service' manual you have? I was also wondering if it can be inspected somehow without removing it.

I have read differing opinions on whether to soak the combuster in the solution as you describe; some opinions seem to suggest just using compressed air and pipe cleaners; I guess I'll have to research this further.

Hi i have the same stove for 20 years. Yes as said above its easy to clean. 4 bolts and out. Agree-watch the refractory its fragile. This year I switched to stainless cat and after 2 cleanings and burning since oct no problems. I dont know about the condor cats never had one. If you do a search you can see picts of my last clean job... lots of fly ash.

maxed_out said:
Hi i have the same stove for 20 years. Yes as said above its easy to clean. 4 bolts and out. Agree-watch the refractory its fragile. This year I switched to stainless cat and after 2 cleanings and burning since oct no problems. I dont know about the condor cats never had one. If you do a search you can see picts of my last clean job... lots of fly ash.
Which stainless CAT are you using (I belive Condar does have one)?

I'm including a link to your clean post for future reference: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52386/

It's a good idea to vacuum or brush your cat about every cord of wood or so. Don't use high pressure air, you could blow the catalyst coating off, but those low pressure cans of air for computer cleaning is ok. Most ceramic cat manufactures don't suggest the 50/50 water vinegar soak unless you have heavy build up a pipe cleaner can't get through. Here's some great info on cats.

http://www.firecatcombustors.blogspot.com/

Todd said:
It's a good idea to vacuum or brush your cat about every cord of wood or so. Don't use high pressure air, you could blow the catalyst coating off, but those low pressure cans of air for computer cleaning is ok. Most ceramic cat manufactures don't suggest the 50/50 water vinegar soak unless you have heavy build up a pipe cleaner can't get through. Here's some great info on cats.

http://www.firecatcombustors.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the info and link. Every cord seems like a lot; that means I'll need to disassable and remove the cat 4-5 times per season; well once I do it once, it might be easier. Is it Ok to use a house central vacuum system for this purpose? I'm asking because I'm not sure if the central system will have too much suction and damage the combustor.

Status
Not open for further replies.