Install myself, or pay the pros?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The door options appear to be plain, silver plating, and gold plating.

Rangerbait, did the dealer ask you which door finish you wanted when you ordered the stove?

Greg

Yes, I specified the plain door with glass...he gave me a quote for the stove with side shields, fan kit, and plain feet, but when I came in to put the deposit down, he told me there was no door included in the quote.

Yes, I specified the plain door with glass...he gave me a quote for the stove with side shields, fan kit, and plain feet, but when I came in to put the deposit down, he told me there was no door included in the quote.

Ok, if the total wasn't out of line with MSRP it was likely an honest mistake. Heck, once you fire it up it won't matter anyways! :)

Greg

Reactions: Rangerbait
Update: they ordered a new door for me today...hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here!

Hopefully they don't say "Oh, you wanted us to supply the glass and handle too?" Ka-ching! :mad:

The stone guys come tomorrow at 8am...hopefully by this time tomorrow it'll be looking awesome!

f9fb8799b21672b56e04bd95b23496bc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That stone looks great! What company or rather where did you get the material?

The "stone" is a cast veneer product from EP Henry...it's very convincing. I considered ordering the product and installing it myself, but after watching how much labor is involved, I'm really glad I didn't do it. A local landscape/hardscape company that has done a lot of work in my neighborhood and comes highly recommended is doing the job.

excellent work!!! far better than what I could ever do, I love this thread so far!!!

If your doing a stainless chimney, it's the easiest part of the whole process. They click together and twist. 3ft at a time. Keep your clearances and your all set.

I used Duravent triple wall, insulated, class a. I got it at home Depot for $89 per 3 foot section. It's not what the pros use, but I don't see what's wrong with it.
This is what I am doing but mine is an exterior install with thru the wall kit. I found the wall support brackets cheapest on Amazon, and the piping is the cheapest around at my local Homedepot. Wholesale can't even touch their price. $84.95 for 3' stainless triple wall is a steal if you look around at what everyone else has it for.

Getting ready to fire off for the first time...question: does the cat thermometer just sit in the hole forward of the stove pipe, or does it get secured somehow? Manual doesn't specify.

567a182627f15e01acb8607d85ca4d9d.jpg

just sits there

Man...I'm really happy I did this outdoors for the first burn...there was visible smoke coming off of every surface once the stove got up to temp. Glad that didn't end up in the house!

92e4c869a11317a9c3678dfc6f0af830.jpg

I burned my Chinook off inside. It smoked visibly for a couple of hours and I could smell it for the first day but it was never that strong because I had all the windows open (including the upstairs). So all the bad air was continuously drafted out the window at the top of the stairs. When you install yours the draft will be stronger so it's possible new areas might burn off from the extra heat. Just open the windows, it goes out.