installing a ceiling fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deed

Dec 22, 2007
Central Me
Thinking of putting in a ceiling fan in the main part of the house it is aproximately 600 sqf. with wall breakers that come down 20 inches from the ceiling. I have eight foot ceilings. Would this affect the air floor for the rest of house? Are there anything else that may be affected by doing this.

Deed said:
Thinking of putting in a ceiling fan in the main part of the house it is aproximately 600 sqf. with wall breakers that come down 20 inches from the ceiling. I have eight foot ceilings. Would this affect the air floor for the rest of house? Are there anything else that may be affected by doing this.

I have a 1500 square foot Cape. I normally don't use my ceiling fans in the winter, except on really cold days. If I put my ceiling fan on reverse (drawing air up to the ceiling) I find it heats my 2nd floor better that way. It pulls the hot air up the staircase.

I have better luck directing the air with a few muffin fans.

I guess the layout of your house would have a lot to do with how much the fan would effect the air flow.

If the fan would be in the same room as the stove it might be worth doing but there's no guarantee. In my house I've found that the ceiling fans in other rooms just seem to keep the heat out of the room regardless of whether they are in reverse or not so I've cut them all off.

I know everyone gets tired of hearing it but it really does seem to be easier to move the cold air, at floor level, towards the stove to establish a current in the house that moves the warm air out of the stove room and into the rest of the house. You can check the air current by simply holding a candle near the top of doorways and down at the floor. You want the air at floor level going towards the stove and the air near the ceiling moving away from the stove room. A single small fan sitting on the floor and blowing towards the stove is enough to start the air current in my house. Once the air is moving nicely I can cut the fan off and the current keeps going.

Thank you, I was looking to get more of the hot air at the ceiling towards the floor. I have good cold air circulation. Just see if i could bring the hotter air down more. I wanted to see what this did with circulation in the rest of the house.

I have a cape-cod also and I have to use the reverse fan method as well...my bedrooms all come down to a hallway and then into the living area where the stove is located...I put a box fan in the hallway blowing air toward the stove and everything behind the fan gets toasty warm. strange but it does work...if I try to put a fan in front of the stove to blow air towards the rest of the house it just makes things colder(except around the stove)...long story short- use the fan the opposite way you think you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.