Installing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am going to install a woodstove in my new garage/pole barn. The closes combustible will be 7/16 OSB on the wall. Not sure what the stove is going to be yet but it will be a stove with a little age. Possibly a wood furnace. I know the minimum clearance is 36" but I would like to make it closer. My stove in the house is much closer but it is in front of a concrete wall. What have others done or what is the best method of heat shielding/ protecting the wall that is still considered legal?

If it were me, and I've done some stuff that doesn't pass OSHA, but if it were me I'd put up fiberboard (that cement board stuff) behind the stove and anywhere the pipe is going to be close to. I've used it to protect sheetrock when running an Acetylene torch and you can't get fire to go through the stuff even at several thousand degrees.

New stoves have listed clearances and some come with heat shields to reduce clearances. Older stoves (non listed) and single wall pipe can be reduced when a vented non combustible wall shield on 1" spacers is mounted, you can do up to a 2/3 reduction - 36" stove can be 12" single wall stove pipe 18" can be reduced to 6"
Check with local codes or insurance if a solid wood heater is allowed in your garage / work shop - some don't allow it due to flammable liquids near by and other reasons.
If you buy a newer stove that has the clearances listed you cannot reduce them further by installing the wall shield unless that manufacture approves it.

You'd get a lot more hits on this if you posted it in the "Hearth room" thread, maybe someone can move it for you?