Interesting article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can say from my anecdotal experience that doesn’t seem accurate here in the US.

I’ve lived in urban Atlanta, Dallas, and Pittsburgh and I didn’t see or smell any wood burning other than the casual 1-2 fireplace fires per year. The air does however smell like factory pollution and is visibly hazy.

Reactions: Mt Bob and Shrewboy
This part of the EU assault on its people to control more of their lives by limiting energy availability to individuals and their households.

I just lite my stove and in the beginning there was some smoke but now after it got hot I do not see anything and wondering if my stove is working right for it is about 400 degrees with the temperature and the blower is on as well...These newer stoves with dry wood are just amazing and I agree with Kenny...old clancey

Reactions: Mt Bob
I don't have any hard data to share, but my gut feeling is that I get more PAH exposure from diesel exhaust on my drive in to work than from wood smoke. And I burn wood 24/7.

It's a nice study, quite detailed. Took a decent stab at quantifying non-local vs. local sources, local source breakdown, and IPE vs. non-IPE exposures. Most higher exposures were during those Intense Pollution Events, limiting burning during the warmer rainy days would make a big impact on mitigating the lions share of it, looks like. I don't even burn at all when it's warm enough to be raining for instance. From the link article on the eco stove standards they have in place for 2022, it looks like they are weaker than the CA/US standards for PM2.5, they are allowing 375g/GJ, where our standards here are more in the range of 40-60g/GJ of total weight PM unless I'm missing something. The one linked article says that compares poorly to new standards for high GVWR trucks that do 0.5g/GJ. They also miss noting that PM output from higher MPG direct injected gasoline cars is much higher than previous generation, indirect multiport injection gasoline cars - and is so far unregulated and unfiltered worldwide. Diesels with operational DPFs produce significantly less PM vs. high pressure direct injected gasoline at this point in time in a comical role reversal.

Wood smoke is nasty stuff, but none of these articles are accounting for the changing annualized source breakdown that we'll experience over the next 30 years either. Most of the at risk above-ground biomass in forests is anticipated to be nearly completely burned away in that time from desertification and extreme weather events, given current rates of increases in burned acres/year. While our cars and stoves will be cleaner, the air probably won't be no matter what we do at this point - annual exposure rates will probably keep climbing for the forseable future. Always happens eventually, no matter how big your "fishbowl" is... Most world models from the past 50-60 years predicted the largest % of new depopulation pressure occurs from pollution.

Reactions: woodgeek and EbS-P
Wood smoke is nasty stuff, but none of these articles are accounting for the changing annualized source breakdown that we'll experience over the next 30 years either. Most of the at risk above-ground biomass in forests is anticipated to be nearly completely burned away in that time from desertification and extreme weather events, given current rates of increases in burned acres/year. While our cars and stoves will be cleaner, the air probably won't be no matter what we do at this point - annual exposure rates will probably keep climbing for the forseable future. Always happens eventually, no matter how big your "fishbowl" is... Most world models from the past 50-60 years predicted the largest % of new depopulation pressure occurs from pollution.
I must say that is some very well written information, kudos to your post 👍👍

It's a nice study, quite detailed. Took a decent stab at quantifying non-local vs. local sources, local source breakdown, and IPE vs. non-IPE exposures. Most higher exposures were during those Intense Pollution Events, limiting burning during the warmer rainy days would make a big impact on mitigating the lions share of it, looks like. I don't even burn at all when it's warm enough to be raining for instance. From the link article on the eco stove standards they have in place for 2022, it looks like they are weaker than the CA/US standards for PM2.5, they are allowing 375g/GJ, where our standards here are more in the range of 40-60g/GJ of total weight PM unless I'm missing something. The one linked article says that compares poorly to new standards for high GVWR trucks that do 0.5g/GJ. They also miss noting that PM output from higher MPG direct injected gasoline cars is much higher than previous generation, indirect multiport injection gasoline cars - and is so far unregulated and unfiltered worldwide. Diesels with operational DPFs produce significantly less PM vs. high pressure direct injected gasoline at this point in time in a comical role reversal.

Yes, that is the issue. The EU standards and testing are looser and very weakly enforced. Most of the stoves I see coming out of there and the UK would not pass US or Canadian standards.

Most world models from the past 50-60 years predicted the largest % of new depopulation pressure occurs from pollution.
That surprises me. I thought it will be disappearing water resources.

Reactions: NorMi
That surprises me. I thought it will be disappearing water resources.
The ones I'm familiar with, food and water both have a sort of built in "fungibility factor" due to forced migration effects, and in models, those both mainly become production restricted at a certain point, in part by pollution. They usually do several runs of constrained models with varying assumptions on resource use, etc but the public models all exclude warfare. DoD public releases, World3 and the world3-esque updates, MEDEAS are all I'm really familiar with, but excluding war in the model constraints explains part of the reason for this.

The elephant in the room, the west coast, mostly Cali and OR, forest fires. They have polluted the air,particulate matter and all. at quite an increasing rate the last 5 years. Spreading over 2/3 of the USA and parts of Canada. Yet you see very little on the news about the pollution and health dangers, except in local news. Almost like they are hiding it in national news.

Prior to installing our PE T6 I consistently measured our air quality with a device called a Atmotube Pro. We live on a ranch in the Colorado mountains and readings were always in the low 90s (good = 80-100), unless we had a wildfire in the area.

Now with the PE T6 doing 80% of our heating I am pleased to find no change in our indoor air quality.. at present a nice fire in the stove Air Quality Score = 92, TVOC (volatile organic compounds) = 0 ppm, PM1 = 1.0 ppm,PM 2.5 = 6.0 ppm and PM 10 = 11 ppm.

in short, our wood stove has not changed the quality of the indoor air in the ranch house. This also speaks to the quality of the PE T6 and kudos to the installer, The Hearth House.

Reactions: begreen and Mt Bob
A couple more elephants in the room for cancer rates are the proximity of the residences to airports and highways and freeways.

A couple more elephants in the room for cancer rates are the proximity of the residences to airports and highways and freeways.
Yep,down the road from me is a "saved/rebuild" old farm and house. 2 lane highway on either side,plus a frontage road. Horse pasture right up to the roads,about a 300yd distance between the roads. They seem to go through a lot of horses, always seems to be new ones there, old ones gone.