1. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    blacktail likes this.
  2. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    When we told Larocca industry leaders said he should not be using combustible rubberized sealants to coat entire chimneys, he said, “rubberized compounds are not flammable.”

Why are we even talking about whether rubber is flammable?

Image7943372881432228233.jpg Image5742288144380514990.jpg

...yeah.

Nice use of foil tape to rig up a mutant leaky T to allow your stove to share a flue with whatever's downstairs, though...

These are the photos that HE chose to put up as advertising, too. o_O

3. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Is he actually using driveway sealant to do a crown repair? Wow I mean what could go wrong?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KJamesJR

KJamesJR
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2018
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    When your house burns down and chimney falls over at least you’ll have something to park your car on.

BIGChrisNH likes this.
  5. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I’ve seen liquid tar used as a crown seal several times.
    Today we put a door in for someone that just paid to have his smoke chamber parged. The guy used a system that’s sprayed, it didn’t go well... all the holes in the bricks were still visible, and the sealant drooped down making hundreds of stalactites hanging. It was worse than the original bricks! I’ve worked behind him several times, he needs to make a lot of refunds. Nothing but a big scam!

6. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I need someone to come up with a story that beats "coated entire prefab fireplace in driveway sealer, built T out of foil tape to allow stove to connect to furnace flue from downstairs", which is what I think I am seeing in the above ad photo.

That is really something. That's from his own yelp.com advertising photo album. See it all here, if you dare.

7. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    That tee doesn't connect to anything but the pellet stove it was put in for. It is still horribly done for sure but no furnace.

8. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Are you sure? The "cap" on the bottom is black and looks like it's coming through fireplace? Maybe it's just the tar.

You'd know better than me, though.

9. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Looks like paint overspray to me..
    All of the visible components look to be galvanized steel, including the hearth extension.

LondonNeil likes this.
  10. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I dont think it has a tee cap at all. It looks like it is just an open tee sitting on the fireplace floor.

11. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    The idiocy on his website would be amusing if he wasn't screwing people over and endangering them.

webby3650 likes this.
  12. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I guess I'm that guy who argues with the experts today, but you don't see tape on there?

Image8234686685805569855.jpg

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I could be wrong, but the low, taped pipe looks like it is for a pellet stove with a pressurized exhaust.

The galvanized metal on the hearth has a hole cut in it. Looks like that will be used to close off the fireplace opening.

14. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    The tape isn’t a problem as long as the insulation isn’t compromised.

15. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    The bottom of the tee is the only place i dont see tape.

16. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    It is

17. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Tape is standard practice on an insulated liner system.

18. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yes tape is fine. But I would bet that galvanized pipe is just stuck up into the fireplace flue.

19. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I agree, there’s no way it’s approved in any way shape or form!

bholler likes this.
  20. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Ah, I've never even seen a pellet stove; thanks for making that less crazy for me. :)

21. EbS-P

EbS-P
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2019
    Loc:
    SE North Carolina
    This is from my home town. We hit with her with hurricane Florence and since then finding anyone to do any kind of home repair has not been easy and find someone to do a quality job can be near impossible. There are two good companies in town but they are pricy. 10 years ago I had a level 2 chimney cleaning that they charged me 600$ for 15’ of 8x13 flue. I was quoted about 300$ to re-crown mine.

Is it typical to require a journeyman license to sweep a chimney?

22. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    I guess he put concrete over the expansion gap so it wouldn't leak. And the crown looks very robust. ;lol For that kind of hack work, it better be "affordable." Just the fact that he thinks his yelp page is going to get him business, brings his brain into question. :oops:
    o.jpg

I was quoted two or three thousand for a roof-up re-build. I think a fair price for a good job would be somewhere in between. bholler estimated 1000-1200 for just a crown, 1500 for a rebuild above the roof and pouring a crown, in my chimney thread. I might have bit on that deal, but I quit looking, as cold weather was almost here, and just did it myself.

23. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    600 is crazy for a cleaning and 300 is crazy low for a crown

webby3650 likes this.
  24. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    A crown seal would be more than that!
    If I had to pay that much for a chimney cleaning I’d be loosing money. I’d just burn gas! We have customers that have their system cleaned twice a year and certainly don’t need it, but they feel better about it. It kind of negates the saving to me.

25. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yeah we have some we do twice a year also. And they usually don't need it. But even twice a year isn't 600

webby3650 likes this.