Interesting chimney sweeping setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanD

Dec 5, 2005
My wife and I just returned from a trip that took us through rural Maine. While driving through a small town west of Bangor I saw 2 homes with a tripod on top of the chimney. Suspended from the tripod was a pulley and below that was a chimney brush. Evidently a cable went down the chimney and the brush could be pulled through the chimney without ever going outside or on the roof.
I have never seen anything like this before. Wonder if the brush / cable get coated with creosote and make a bigger mess than it is worth? The chimneys were both in the center of the home at the peak of a very steep roof, so getting up there to sweep would be a pain.
Yankee ingenuity?

Status
Not open for further replies.