Interminable used saw indecision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are the ads gone already? I'm getting a bad link that redirects back to the main classifieds page.

yep, I just checked, they are gone......suprised that 6401 hung around for over a week.

arboristsite is a decent place for classifieds, but when someone puts up a whole saw at a decent price its gone fast.

Yep.....there are some members there that I would buy a used saw from way before even a dealer.

Finally made the time to play with the saw last night. Put some fresh mix in and fired it up...so nice to just pull the darn string and have a saw that starts and idles by itself...my old saw was at the point where I had to squeeze the throttle while pulling the string just so it would fire...not particularly safe or fun.

Ran about a quarter tank of fuel, maybe less. Just playing really. Got the bar into some nice hard maple and red oak to get a feel for the thing...it was just fantastic...this thing eats through wood like a pissed off beaver.

Put a cardboard strip down under the saw when I was done, I wanted to finalyl see what I was dealing with as far as the oil problem goes, took a photo after the saw say for about 6 hours or so. The sales guy at the dealer told me the oil would just leak all over the place if I left oil in the tank after useage...the implication being that the oil tank, pump or hose may not be properly sealed and that a seal might ooze if oil was present. Happy to report that this does not seem to be the case at all.

I put about a half tank of oil in the tank three days ago and let the saw sit unused and unmoved for that time...not a drop came out, so the system seems to seal up just fine, at lease when its not under any sort of pressure from operating the pump.

The amount that was on the cardboard is actually less than I would have gotte out of my old saw afer running it dry. The larger of those spots is under 2" long...it all apears to have come from oil gathering under the clutch cover.

I did notice the oiler was set on the highest setting, the manual says this is for 18-20" bars and I do have a 20" bar on it, but since the manufacturer lists a 24" bar as a recommended size for cutting with this saw, isn't it logical that the adjustable oil pump would have asetting that delivers enough oil to the B&C to keep it running? I did the oil pump test oulined in the manual (warm it up, then run the saw at high rpms for a minute while holding the tip near, but not touching a surface like a clena stump so you can see the oil slick getting thrown off the end of the chain. On setting 2 (of 3) I got a pretty good strip of oil across the stump after running it about 15-20 seconds...it was very visible. On setting 3 it was making a mess and I suspect there's just too much oil being thrown out there for a 20" B&C.

The photo shows what was left by the saw after running it n oil pump setting 2, which Husky says is for 15-18" bars I think.

I seriously think that the dealer had an inexperienced tech go through this thing and I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with it whatsoever. Best, most satisfying $170 I think Ive ever not spent on a new tool.

Any thoughts or input from poeple here who know way more than me? Other 359 owners with similar oil spots?

Attachments

• oil slick.jpg
    oil slick.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 154
I'd guess a 20" bar is perfect for a 359. I think 24" is the maximum suggested and I'd use skip tooth chain if you're cutting harder woods. Use which ever oil setting makes you comfortable. More oil = longer bar life, but it may be cleaner and less expensive overall to use less oil.

That oil leak doesn't look unusually bad. I have two suggestions.

1) Get a PowerBox or similar plastic saw case and put some paper towels in the bottom to absorb any oil that leaks. My smaller saw leaking never bothers me, only the big saw which doesn't fit in any of the plastic cases.

2) When cold oil warms up in the hot saw, it expands and the oil tank gets pressurized. If you are done using the saw and still have a fairly full oil tank, try opening and closing the oil filler cap to reduce any built up pressure. As the saw cools the oil will contract.

Hey the saw's just marking its territory!!!!! No problem at all and enjoy running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.