Interminable used saw indecision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
I've been widening my search and have located a number of what I think are good candidates for me, pretty much all on Craigslist.

The HD Makita 6401 seems very unlikely to work out, but if I do happen to find one I'm grabbing one...they're few and far between though and the timing has to be perfect.

I've located a Husky 357XP for $300, CL ad is below.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/2249271902.html

Sent and e-mail and the seller says its still available, saw wa used comercially for the last 3 years and homeowner for the 3 years prior to that. Definitely pretty used and the case shows it. I find it odd that a 357XP is still available almost 5 weeks after it was listed...maybe people think tis too ugly and are afraid.

Located an Efco dealer in northern VT that has a wide selection of what sound like very nice used saws they took in trade on new Efcos. He has am MS361 for $350 a Husky 272XP for $300 and a "virtually brand new" Husky 353 with heated handles for $300...he also has an MS390 for $300. Guy says he doesn't like the MS361 model, but didn't say why so I asked. Waiting on pics and more info on the 353, 272 and the 361.

Of these saws I think the MS361 may be the best deal...good saw if others here are to be beleived, the 353 might be a good choice for me if the condition is as described, but its nowhere near the same class power-wise as the others...but its a big step up from my old Craftsman 42cc saw that really did most everything I asked of it.

Am I annoying anyone yet? Wife says I'm driving her nuts and wishes I'd just buy something already and get on with my life.

I fell, buck, limb and split about 6-7 cords a year for firewood, so I need a good saw. Don't often run into monster trees so a 20" bar will likely be plenty...I only cut one tree that was wider in diameter than my old 18" bar would get through. Just want a good quality saw thats going to last me and if I can get a big high end, powerful saw, it'll obviously appeal to the guy in me.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also found a smoking deal on a Husky 455 Rancher. Not my first choice because its heavier and I'm leery of the plastic motor bits, but the guy's selling a brand new saw essentially right out of the box for a tad over half retail.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/2306994106.html

No ? there 361.....Great mid-range saw. Its not great at anyone thing but you add up all the things it does well and it makes a one man recking machine. Just dont get in over your head.

Hi - I see Makita 6401's on Ebay for 350 pretty often. The 361, or 353 would fit the job well. Have you walked into the local saw shop and asked? Sometimes they have saws they rebuilt that are better mechanicly that they look.

It's nice to be able to try out the saw. I bought all the saw I could afford. It paid for itself and a bigger saw.
ATB,
Mike

The only local shop I've been able to find anything used at is Tractor Supply, and those are like Husqvarna 340's with tags that say "Still overheats after repair complete" and they want $250 for it. There is one other place locally I'm trying to make time to get to, maybe today at lunch.

I agree on being able to fire it up and try it out before I take it home. Maybe I need to cool my jets. I can always borrow a saw from my wife's uncle if I get stuck...just don't like using other people's tools if I can avoid it.

mayhem said:
i was thinking the 361 if its in good shape would be the best choice for me...worst case scenario I can CL it locally for at least what I paid for it.

Really hard to kill one unless its stright gas.....Just not alot to go wrong and simple to fix if it does. This one set for years 036 but it took 13.47 to have it up and running strong needs nothing.

Attachments

• 036-3 resize.jpg
    036-3 resize.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 441
mayhem said:
i was thinking the 361 if its in good shape would be the best choice for me...worst case scenario I can CL it locally for at least what I paid for it.

This one looks like its been beat up pretty good and he wants $50 more.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2303634771.html

That's pretty much what my 361 looks like. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Mine runs like a wild animal and will blow your mind cutting anything under 14". When you get into the larger stuff it is still wicked...but not mind blowing.

Reply from the guy.

The 353 was owned by a guy that has a chainsaw addiction but doesn't use them. He trades in and tries a new, different saw every 6 months.

The 2159 and ms361 are both average, one owner trade ins. In good shape. Been gone through by us mechanically, but not cleaned off for the beauty pagent yet.

I have so many 272s I can't rightly say the history of any one of them in particular. They get the standard mecanical going through and adjustments here.

The prices would be plus shipping, at $30.

The MS361s just don't hold up, parts are expensive, and they run like the ought to cost $250 less than they do new.

Give us a call if you want to purchase any of these. That 272 especially, for some reason are all going fast this week.

Photos attached.

Still liking the 361 and the 353. Muffler on the 361 is awfully rusty, don't know if that indicateds anything, but I've noticed people comment on that before like its a bad thing.

Attachments

• saws_001.jpg
    saws_001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 391
  • saws_003.jpg
    saws_003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 416
  • saws_005.jpg
    saws_005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 392
They all rust with use (or put in my dads barn lol everything rust in there)....The big thing is whats behind it. Cylinder walls.

I have and like the 353. Its a good all around moderate use saw for midsized wood. Sounds perfect for the work you describe.

As a price comparison point you can get a new one with a new Husqvarna (Oregon) bar and chain (95vp) for a decent prices from Alamia.

$390 for 16" delivered
$405 for 18" delivered
$410 for 20" delivered

Not sure how far you're willing to drive but Goff's equipment in Torrington, CT has a like-new looking 391 with a "demo model" tag on it for $494, reduced from $549. Not sure if there's tax on that or not but wondering if $425-450 cash could take it out the door.

Don't let looks scare you. My 262xp is butt ugly (don't tell it I said that) - got it for $100 a few years ago probably because of that. New carb kit, new ring this year - starts right up and runs like new.

Just got back from my one local dealer...turns out they do Stihl and Huqvarna consumer and pro saws. They don't deal in trades or used saws but after talking to the guy a bit abut my needs and what I actually want, he says to come out to the workshop. There in the shelf is a brand new (I mean brand new, not a demo) Husky 359. Leaks B&C oil from the factory, they replaced the recommended parts and it still does it so Husky said they'll credit the place and they can sell it as a demo saw as is, no warranty. Its got a 20" bar on it now, full magnesium case, 3.9hp...basically its a detuned 357XP. He offered it to me for $400, which is about $150 or so off compared to the on ehe had sitting right there in the showroom...its brand new, not even a tank of gas through it...they assemble all their new saws, run them, tune them and test them prior to sale.

Nice added advantage that these guys are a full pro saw service center, I was feeling leefy about looking at used Husky saws beyond the 455 Rancher.

I'm thinking no on the 361 and the 353 at the Efco dealer, mainly because I can't get to it to try them out before I buy...and with shipping charges its going to be about $400, so I can get this brand new Husky for the same money.

I've seen a couple 359's advertised as leaking oil so maybe its a common issue? Anyone know anything about it? Guy said it doesn't squirt out or anything while you're using it, consumption during use is 100% normal, it just leaves a puddle of B&C oil if its still in the resivoir and you put it on the floor.

I'm thinking I'll go back tomorrow with some cash and see if I cna knock it down to $350...might just take it as is for $400, its really got everything I'm looking for...maybe I can get them to throw in a spare chain, helmet or chaps for me.

Thoughts?

Hes making you jump! lol 400.00 looks really good.......

I'm a little concerned that this dealer "replaced" all the parts and it still leaks........ $400 also seems high for a saw they are going to be getting credit for. Look around, I bet you can find a new 359 with no issues and a full warranty for $500 or tell the dealer you'll buy the leaky one for $300, but he has to throw in a box of diapers (shop towels).

BTW........ 359's are great saws!

HittinSteel said:
I'm a little concerned that this dealer "replaced" all the parts and it still leaks........ $400 also seems high for a saw they are going to be getting credit for. Look around, I bet you can find a new 359 with no issues and a full warranty for $500 or tell the dealer you'll buy the leaky one for $300, but he has to throw in a box of diapers (shop towels).

BTW........ 359's are great saws!

lol

Well I told the boss (aka wife) about it and she asked me "you didn't leave it there did you?" I told I did and she called me a fool and said to call them and tell them I'll take it. Having been married for nearly 16 years I know when to do as I'm told so I called the guy and got him to throw in a free spare 20" chain and a free follow up checkup after I run a couple tanks of gas through it. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

As appealing as the CL saws were and especially the HD Makitas, I'm going to have to drive too far to find anything ot take a big chance on having a saw shipped to me and losing $400...so instead I'll spend it on a brand new saw 1/3 off and roll the dice on the lack of warranty. My Craftsman ran for 10 years solid withut a hiccup, so I feel the deck is stacked in my favor. I'll get a service report from the dealer on what they've done and do some digging around about the oil leak.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.

I would say 400.00 not bad on that saw. Yes 300 sounds better but thats a hot saw.

Sure is purty. Guy held firm at $380 as his best price, threw in a spare chain for me. Figured this was better odds for a good saw and I don't have to drive 2 hours just to look at it.

And you have the wife's blessing! That is absolutely priceless. Enjoy the new saw and we will of course need pictures and videos LOL.

HittinSteel said:
And you have the wife's blessing! That is absolutely priceless. Enjoy the new saw and we will of course need pictures and videos LOL.

Yea I almost forgotten! It never Happened..........

Sounds like a good deal, especially as you've not got local dealer support. Sweet--good luck with it!

S

Well here she is, just picked it up less than an hour ago. $425 out the door with a spare 20" Husky chain.

Fired it up there before I walked out the door, nice.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 286
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 280
mayhem said:
Well here she is, just picked it up less than an hour ago. $425 out the door with a spare 20" Husky chain.

Fired it up there before I walked out the door, nice.

Looks pretty darn aggressive! Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.