Intrepid Flex Burn catalytic combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tommyH

Nov 10, 2019
Alabama
Hi,
I cannot figure out how to install the combustor. My Intrepid model 2115-cat stove did not come with one. Purchased one from Condar, they had a matching size (based on vermont casting part # 30007430) . My manual states to remove the access door, ( I got that part hahah) then it states to remove the inner fireback. After I remove the door there is nothing there to remove. Am I missing a part? How is this accomplished? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6735.JPG
    IMG_6735.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6736.JPG
    IMG_6736.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 280
I have the same stove. You just set the combustor in the slot provided for. There are pictures in the manual. Don't worry about the inner fire back. I don't know why the manual says that but ignor that part. You just remove the access cover which you have done. You will notice a rushing sound when the cat engages. It will engage quickly if you have the three inches of coal specified.

I have the same stove. You just set the combustor in the slot provided for. There are pictures in the manual. Don't worry about the inner fire back. I don't know why the manual says that but ignor that part. You just remove the access cover which you have done. You will notice a rushing sound when the cat engages. It will engage quickly if you have the three inches of coal specified.
thanks for the reply. The only way I can get it in there to sit is shown in attached pic. Is this how yours is sitting? I am convinced this is NOT right. haha

Attachments

• with combustor.JPG
    with combustor.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
I got it. The catalyst I have could not fit in the proper position without taking out the inner fireback. There are four bolts that hold the side brick supports. These supports also hold the inner fireback in place. I took out two bolts on one side and was able to slide the inner fireback out of the way. Then I could install the combustor/catalyst. It is a snug fit in the slot given the gasket around the combustor.

Attachments

• correct combustor install.JPG
    correct combustor install.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 344
Hum, that is not the combuster that came with my stove. It should be a steel cat. I think what you have is installed incorrectly. However the early manual mentions a ceramic cat which is what you have. So maybe you have one of the first ones that had the optional cat that apparently was ceramic. Remember the cat was/is an option at extra cost for the Itrepid FlexBurn. If you need to replace it they will give you the sterling version now. I'll look at my manual from 18' and check on this though.

tommyH, you do have it correct. Within a year they changed it so you don't have to remove the inner fire back and you just set the steel one in there so the honeycomb is vertical. Let us know how yours performs though. Looks like they were quick to figure out for it to be a true flexburn you shouldn't have to take the stove apart to switch between cat and non-cat.

tommyH, I looked at the Condar web site and they advised not to use the gaskets around this cat. They didn't say why but I believe it made too tight a fit which seems what you found out. Looking at your pictures, you have it in the right location but a few or more of the cat rows look non functional as they are covered up by the fire back. I think this was the same cat used for the Intrepid II they tried to make work for the Flexburn. The one VC gave me is steel and only about an inch thick so you can fit it in without taking the fire back off and it has more exposed cat to the exhaust. If your draft is comprpmised too much with the ceramic cat you might want to go to the steel cat. I'm hoping down the road someone makes a ceramic cat the same size as the steel one.

Thanks Kevin.... I am going to get the steel one from VC. I do not think the draft is compromised to any real degree. with the combustor in there. However, my stove doesn't seem to get enough air with the damper closed. This is whether or not I have the combustor in there. I get a good bed of coals going.. close the damper and without hesitation and very consistently the flames goes out even with air selector turned to the + sign. What i have to do to keep a good fire going with the damper closed is to unlock the ash tray swing arm. When i close and lock the ash tray arm it seals very tight! When I just unlock it (not open it) there is then some air flow to keep the flames going. The steel cat I am sure will have no effect on this , its just something I mention as an observation.

tommyH, I found on mine that even with the primary saying fully open, it actually was only open maybe half way. At half way the baffle was all the way closed. These are with the stove cold. So it was grossly misadjusted from the factory. You need to check this. The primary and secondary air flaps have a ball and chain connection with kepers that you can adjust the openings with. You will of course need to take the back heat shield off to access these. The allen screw for the damper handle may be a bear to get loose. The wood on the primary will pull off by twisting it at the same time. This is also on tight. And loosen the four shield bolts and remove two Phillips screws bottom of shield. These need to come off in order to get the shield off. I believe the secondary flap adjustment was okay from the factory on mine. My stove was made July of 18' so second month of production. Probably around the same time as yours. So anyways something you should check out.

Reactions: Earlnemo
I will check this out today. Thanks for the tip. I also discovered today why its bad idea to remove the fireback to get to the combustor... I removed it this morning to look at the combustor. The gasket around the combustor was basically destroyed. I removed it. But before when I removed the fireback the ceramic paper gasket it covers also fell apart (part # 30007304A) . So now I have to get one of those or make one from ceramic paper. Do you happen to know of a online place to get parts for this stove? Many online sites I have seen have intrepid 1 and 2 but not flexburn stove parts.

Tommy, I believe I've seen the ceramic paper part at a stove parts supplier on line. Might have been stove parts.com? Just google Vermont Castings part #30007304A and something should pop up. This is probably why Condar said not to use the gaskets. Also VC never made mentioned of gaskets on the cat and any version of their owners manual for this stove. They are on they're third manual currently. One other conclusion is the steel cats like to hold on to some ash so you might want to check that every few days or so. The steel cat has a smaller honeycomb structure as opposed to the ceramic which causes this. Again would like to see a 1" or so thick ceramic cat that could go in there I think would be the better deal here.

Hi Kevin - That's the wrong catalyst for this unit - Appears to be a 2" thick, ceramic cat for the older Intrepid II. The Intrepid FB uses a metal, 1" thick catalyst that is easily installed and removed without taking the fireback out of the unit. Vermont Castings part # SRV30007430