ED 3000 Posted By ED 3000, Aug 19, 2018 at 2:58 PM

1. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    In my woods I have a number of invasive species I'd like to eliminate. I've cut the ones I could, but a few remain that are out of my league, felling-wise. Trees of heaven, Norway maple, etc.

I'd like to use an herbicide that can apply to the trunk to eliminate them. I think I've read about chopping into the trunk with a hatchet, then spraying. Once they are killed, nature can take it's course, no harm done.

If I had my choice, I'd use an herbicide available to homeowners, from hd or Lowe's.

Any suggestions of what to use would be appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    I suspect by the time you use enough herbicide to kill a full grown tree, you're going to have quite a dead zone around the base. You can 'girdle' the tree (google or wiki that) and it will die. No herbicide required. The downside - if you ever expect to spend any time in that area of the woods in the future - would be that you then have a standing dead tree which will drop branches and/or crash to the ground at some point... hopefully not while you're working nearby.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    semipro likes this.
  3. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I did that exact process to about 15 oaks and maple around my house. They are still alive 3 years later. Amazing.

It might sound primative, but I have found that with 100% of the trees around where i have a brush fire, they all die. The heat kills them. Bark falls off and tree rots.

4. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I'd guess you're not cutting deeply enough. Girdling cuts off the flow of water and nutrients from the roots - should be a sure thing.