Invincible control board issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcarson

Jan 5, 2012
Little Rhody
Hello all,

I am new to the pellet-burning world. I recently bought and installed a Harman Invincible insert. I followed the instructions about setting the feed rate in Stove Temp mode, and things seemed to go well. I then changed to Room Temp mode, and started receiving two flashes, or four flashes, on different occasions, from the status light.

Now, regardless of feed rate, Room Temp mode always underfeeds, to the point where the flame seems to be coming out right near the auger, and Stove Temp mode always overfeeds, to the point where burning pellets are soon dropping into the ash pan, and the burn pot is overflowing within minutes of the change to Stove Temp mode. In Room Temp mode, status light always displays 4 flashes. My gut feeling is that the control board must be bad. Any thoughts?

jdcarson said:
Hello all,

I am new to the pellet-burning world. I recently bought and installed a Harman Invincible insert. I followed the instructions about setting the feed rate in Stove Temp mode, and things seemed to go well. I then changed to Room Temp mode, and started receiving two flashes, or four flashes, on different occasions, from the status light.

Now, regardless of feed rate, Room Temp mode always underfeeds, to the point where the flame seems to be coming out right near the auger, and Stove Temp mode always overfeeds, to the point where burning pellets are soon dropping into the ash pan, and the burn pot is overflowing within minutes of the change to Stove Temp mode. In Room Temp mode, status light always displays 4 flashes. My gut feeling is that the control board must be bad. Any thoughts?

Is the temperature probe connected properly? A 4 blink flash means there is a problem with the temp probe.

What is your feed rate set at? I would also go for a "hard" reset which means turn the stove off, let it go out and cool down and unplug it for at least a minute. When switching from stove temp to room temp I have found that pausing in the "off" position for a second or two helps as well.

the only time my invincible over fed pellets in stove temp mode
the ESP was dirty, pull the ESP and wipe it clean carefully
there are two small wires you do not want to break

I have already replaced the room sensing probe, but I did not notice if there was any polarity(?) Are the two leads interchangeable?
I will try a reset; nothing to lose and all to gain.

jdcarson said:
Is the ESP probe easily accessible in this insert? That bear is heavy...

not sure how easy it is to get to on an insert
but it should be located down by the exhaust outlet
has two small wires going into it
and one 1/4" screw holding it in
mine is on the left side facing the stove
I would try getting it working on stove temp to eliminate
the thermostat and other factors
get it running good then as you make changes you will know the effects of each

also if you have control pots, they can get dead spots
try setting them at 1/4 intervals as opposed to even numbers
ex; most people would set 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2
I use 1/4, 3/4, 1 1/4
make sense??

Access to the ESP means sliding the stove out on the steel frame, after it is down and cool, so I will take that approach if the other ideas don't work. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

jdcarson said:
I have already replaced the room sensing probe, but I did not notice if there was any polarity(?) Are the two leads interchangeable?
I will try a reset; nothing to lose and all to gain.

Polarity doesn't matter but 4 blinks is a temp probe issue. Could be the board.

jdcarson said:
With all of the anomalies, and the probe replaced already, that was my educated guess. I will try the reset cos' the price is right...

anything new to report?

Status
Not open for further replies.