Irene droppings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thankfully we were not that hard hit by Irene. There was some flooding and quite a few trees down around me, but we never lost power or experienced deep water at my place. One of my Maple trees fell on the nieghbor's shed, but the damage was minor and cleanup was easy enough.
DSC06752-1.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06750-1.jpg

At least it didn't take down my stacks!

About 1/2 mile from me is my favorite dirt road. I have been harvesting Oak and Locust from here for years. I found this nice Black Locust that the town had partially cleared.
DSC06759.jpg

DSC06760.jpg

DSC06762.jpg

This tree was right next to another scrounge I got from here over the winter.
DSC06403-1.jpg

Cut, quartered and ready to load.
DSC06763.jpg

Made the truck work a little on this load.
DSC06764.jpg

DSC06765.jpg

There is still more on the other side of the street.
DSC06761.jpg

Last night the power company cut down another BL about 500 feet from this one. I'll have to get back soon. I know that you all won't have much sympathy, but I am up to my armpits in Black Locust and Red Oak! I don't really have enough room for all the wood that I have access to right now.

Time to burn! lol

I added the Locust to the end of my '11-'12 stack, but it wont get burned until '12-'13.

DSC06766.jpg

DSC06767.jpg

The maple will go to friend of mine who is moving into a house with a fireplace next week. (I think I'll have a wood cutting buddy soon)

DSC06769.jpg

Flatbedford said:
I added the Locust to the end of my '11-'12 stack, but it wont get burned until '12-'13.

DSC06766.jpg

DSC06767.jpg

The maple will go to friend of mine who is moving into a house with a fireplace next week. (I think I'll have a wood cutting buddy soon)

DSC06769.jpg

MMAUL at the same place as you if burning season doesnt start soon hes out of luck!

Flatbedford, That dirt road of yours is a gold mine! Man, I wish I had that. Around here, there are opportunities like that, but if the government caught you cutting the stuff along their road, they would arrest you. They would rather see it rot than assume any presumed liability for you cutting on their right of way. The railroad is the worst!
Last night the power company cut down another BL about 500 feet from this one. I’ll have to get back soon. I know that you all won’t have much sympathy, but I am up to my armpits in Black Locust and Red Oak! I don’t really have enough room for all the wood that I have access to right now.
And NO we do not feel sorry for you :cheese:

What a wonderful problem to have Steve.

Looks like that maple needed to come down anyway. Glad for no damage.

Gotta get that buddy of yours into a woodstove soon!

Id love to have your problem with the BL, I have the same problem with mostly red oak and a bit of white oak thrown in for good measure. Im worried its gonna need another year, but that would be why I have wood ready to go for this year.

Keep up the work! I know you think you dont have room but I also know you wont let it sit in the woods to rot!

Remmy122 said:
Keep up the work! I know you think you dont have room but I also know you wont let it sit in the woods to rot!

Its black locust!! You can leave it there, and come back for it in 5 years and it wont rot!

Used to use locust poles for fence post on the farm. Try driving 20d's in 'em after they've been out 5 years or more.

Locust = race fuel for the stove, lol.

I got just over 1/2 cord from the power company tree cut, split, and stacked the other day. I had to build another rack for this and there is still more!
DSC06784.jpg

Nice setup and nice job, I'm taking notes.

I went back to get the rest from the dirt road yesterday. The road is on a hillside and I had to cut from the downhill side this time.
0918111406a.jpg

I was able to keep most of it from rolling down the hill. Thankfully the top of the tree was at the bottom so the ones that I had to carry up weren't that heavy. This is when the rack body truck really comes in handy. I parked right next to the guard rail and side loaded. I'd never be able to do this with my F250. The guard rail was also a nice resting place when lifting the bigger ones.
0918111406b.jpg

Here it is all split and stacked.
DSC06785.jpg

I got an easy 1 1/2 cord or so of Black Locust from within 1/2 mile of the house out of Irene. With this I am at just over 12 cords now. That should be 3 years! There is more around, but I can't bring it home until I start burning.
Thanks Irene for sparing my home and providing me with easy, quality fuel.

Very Very Nice Locust score! I am envious for sure as I have none on my property

Status
Not open for further replies.