Is 2000 sq ft too ranch large for a BK Princess Ultra or too small for a BK King Ultra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have a certified professional inspect it with a camera. You don't know how it looks like halfway up otherwise.
That makes sense. But the nearest certified sweep is three hours away(200miles one way). I don’t think the local dealer ship has a certified sweep as no uniform or inspection report aside from verbal.
The entire flue is less than 18’ is disassembly an option?

Understood.
I'll let @bholler answer that.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
If it’s class A, and you can get to it safely, of course you can disassemble it!

I disassembled mine above the roof many times as it was super easy to clean it well that way.

I would run one of these up on my cleaning rod before I disassembled.

Wireless Endoscope Camera, NIDAGE WiFi 5.5mm 1080P HD Borescope Inspection Camera for iPhone Android, 2MP Semi-Rigid Snake Camera for Inspecting Motor Engine Sewer Pipe Vehicle (33FT) https://a.co/d/4Gv0Ozj

The "cordwood max" BTU/hr for the King is 57000, and for the Princess is 51000.
Or the "high" number in the brochure for the King is (nearly) 48000 BTU/hr, and for the Princess (nearly) 38000 BTU/hr.
I don't know how the difference between the two plays out in practice, and I note again the 42000 BTU/hr max (no idea how determined) I found for your current stove.

Rather than looking at what others (can) do, I would look at how well your current stove did for your taste, and compare that to the new ones. Homes (insulation, and thus need for BTUs) differ. You do have a datapoint that either worked well or "just barely". Go from there. I'm mentioning this again because of the "barely" and 38 vs 42 kBTU (IF those numbers can be compared and are the ones that should be compared, rather than the 50k+ BTU other numbers...)

@BKVP can tell you in more detail what number you should compare with your current stove.
I've posted this many times.

Blaze King has used OM7 and M28 and now M28R for emissions testing. This involves using dimensional number, specially Douglas Fir. The one downside of these tests is the do not reflect real world emissions. However, this method was developed to eliminate as much variability as possible. Consumers comparing performance attributes had a pretty level playing field behind their reviews.

In the 2015 NSPS promulgation, state agencies pushed for a method using cordwood. 2/3rds of stoves on the 2020 EPA list were cordwood tested. Unfortunately, EPA and state regulators found lots of aberrations in their review of test reports using this method. To such a degree, some certificates were revoked and none of them can be renewed. That means over the next 5 years, these will all expire.

The discrepancies in BTU'S is easy to explain. If you put 40lbs of crib fuel in a stove during testing, the test is over when the scale reads zero. So total energy input divided by hours of run= Btu's.

In cordwood tested stove, the test is over when 10% of the 40lbs remains. (4lbs)

In a stove that takes 6 more hours to consume the last 4lbs, the overall Btu calculation gets diluted.

EPA wasn't too keen on the fact some manufacturers touted their higher cordwood Btu's but compared them to crib numbers.

We added cordwood numbers to provide some comparative data.

I guess they call that marketing. It's my observation that I have shared dozens of times, customers are the real metric to provide guidance....not brochures.

Blaze King has used OM7 and M28 and now M28R for emissions testing. This involves using dimensional number, specially Douglas Fir. The one downside of these tests is the do not reflect real world emissions. However, this method was developed to eliminate as much variability as possible. Consumers comparing performance attributes had a pretty level playing field behind their reviews.

In the 2015 NSPS promulgation, state agencies pushed for a method using cordwood. 2/3rds of stoves on the 2020 EPA list were cordwood tested. Unfortunately, EPA and state regulators found lots of aberrations in their review of test reports using this method. To such a degree, some certificates were revoked and none of them can be renewed. That means over the next 5 years, these will all expire.

The discrepancies in BTU'S is easy to explain. If you put 40lbs of crib fuel in a stove during testing, the test is over when the scale reads zero. So total energy input divided by hours of run= Btu's.

In cordwood tested stove, the test is over when 10% of the 40lbs remains. (4lbs)

In a stove that takes 6 more hours to consume the last 4lbs, the overall Btu calculation gets diluted.

EPA wasn't too keen on the fact some manufacturers touted their higher cordwood Btu's but compared them to crib numbers.

I guess they call that marketing. It's my observation that I have shared dozens of times, customers are the real metric to provide guidance....not brochures.
Thank you

I have seen posts like this. They give a lot of background, but don't explicitly say what the numbers mean.

So: "cordwood max" presumably is the testing with a full box of cordwood until the 4 lbs is left?
But what does this mean; is it 50,000 per hr until the 4 lbs is left, or is it a less even burn and at some point this was a one time max output?

The "high" of 41,000 BTUs per hr, is that an average BTU output rate with the EPA crib method where the last hrs pull down the average of the whole cycle?

(And is BTU determination testing going with the same methods as the (for the EPA more important) emissions testing?)

I have seen posts like this. They give a lot of background, but don't explicitly say what the numbers mean.

So: "cordwood max" presumably is the testing with a full box of cordwood until the 4 lbs is left?
But what does this mean; is it 50,000 per hr until the 4 lbs is left, or is it a less even burn and at some point this was a one time max output?

The "high" of 41,000 BTUs per hr, is that an average BTU output rate with the EPA crib method where the last hrs pull down the average of the whole cycle?

(And is BTU determination testing going with the same methods as the (for the EPA more important) emissions testing?)
It's the peak number during the high burn test. It is not sustained very long. All test reports are posted by Federal Law on manufacturer websites. Some are 700 plus pages, so scroll down a long ways and you'll see individual run data.

Reactions: stoveliker