Is 272xp enough saw for milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How should the power head be facing, recoil up or down. Have seen set up both ways. I am right handed and naturally would want my right hand on the throttle, but that means recoil will be facing down and the exhaust shooting right in my face....
Facing up, may have to stick a board under for last cut cus full wrap gets in the way. You’ll figure it out. Can’t wait, take some pics!

Reactions: Diabel
I watched a good YouTube video where the gentleman went through his G660 which he had run serval tanks through. He basically was re torquing everything. Had all intentions of doing that to mine but didn’t get around to it. I’ll post it if I can find it again.
I had to re-torque the cylinder bolts on my Farmertec kit 660, that I assembled myself, using a torque wrench...so yes, it is a good idea to go back through them...I would say especially so on the blue pre-assembled ones...

I had to re-torque the cylinder bolts on my Farmertec kit 660, that I assembled myself, using a torque wrench...so yes, it is a good idea to go back through them...I would say especially so on the blue pre-assembled ones...
I just went through all the bolts, as per the video. All were nice and tight. I checked the cylinder bolts, all tight. Did not remove them since no torque wrench here. All the ones i removed had a blob of blue locktite on them. I removed the spark plug and it was wet. Definitely, the saw was tested running. I suppose that is good.

I use my left hand for throttle and right for pushing. Exhaust really isn’t an issue. Gets a bit dusty though
Initially, when i was setting up the mill I had it for the right hand throttle. It was natural for me. But then i switched it as per initial videos i saw. This will be new to me, left hand throttle will be fine.

Saw looks and feels good. The only thing is the oiler screw only has about 1/4 turn play, maybe less. I believe on my ms360 i can turn the screw about 360 deg. Is this normal to have so little play?

Saw looks and feels good. The only thing is the oiler screw only has about 1/4 turn play, maybe less. I believe on my ms360 i can turn the screw about 360 deg. Is this normal to have so little play?
That how mine is. The “E” is straight up and wide open isn’t much of a turn from there.

That how mine is. The “E” is straight up and wide open isn’t much of a turn from there.
Perfect. Thank you

I just went through all the bolts, as per the video. All were nice and tight. I checked the cylinder bolts, all tight. Did not remove them since no torque wrench here. All the ones i removed had a blob of blue locktite on them. I removed the spark plug and it was wet. Definitely, the saw was tested running. I suppose that is good.
I meant after you put a tank or two of fuel through 'er...

I meant after you put a tank or two of fuel through 'er...
Yes i will. I will cut some logs with it for firewood. Using 25:1. Before i start milling i will recheck all the bolts. I will use 32:1 for milling.

Supposedly, i will get help from my teenage son and my daughter’s boyfriend. Remains to be seen. I enjoy working alone especially in the woods. Should i be considering a winch set up? I like gadgets and will do anything to make my job easier.

Man, before you try breaking it in running that rich, call a legit stihl shop and ask what they recommend. I can’t imagine that’s a good idea. Besides blubbering and creating a bunch of oil in your carb, I’d think it would make it harder for the rings to seat good

Man, before you try breaking it in running that rich, call a legit stihl shop and ask what they recommend. I can’t imagine that’s a good idea. Besides blubbering and creating a bunch of oil in your carb, I’d think it would make it harder for the rings to seat good
This is what utubers recommended. Hm.....
The china saw manual says 50:1 but this is a straight reprint from Stihl ms660 manual.

My stihl dealer is super nice but i cannot imagine him giving an opinion on a china saw.

I run 32:1 all the time, always have (well, might go as lean as 40:1 if running low on oil) and have never had any carbon issues...using semi synthetic oil.
25:1 is probably a little slobbery, but I don't think a couple tanks of it will hurt...

While one might expect twice the carbon build up with 25 vs 50. The difference is really 4% oil versus 2% oil by volume. I think the real reason for the stated 25:1 is the global sales of the G660 and limited availability of good mix oil in many parts of the world. Just a guess. If you are using old motor oil as mix oil you might want to go a little heavier on the oil.

G660 doesn’t have to meet any emissions tests either.
Evan

I’ve always ran the recommended and either stihl or husky mix. Husky mix lately only because I bought a 5 gallon jug but no issues with stihl mix through the years. I keep hearing about running rich , a quick call to a saw shop wouldn’t hurt anything. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong. Haven’t had any issues though. Keep remembering way back working for a large contractor that supplied gas and oil and running rich for 5 years and definitely caused saws to loose compression quicker than they should have IMO. The top of the pistons would be black with a layer of carbon from the burnt oil

Got it. Will call it “blue” from now on.
I think most dealers are familiar with the "blue saws" too...I would just refer to it as a 660...that's what I do if I want an OEM part...so far so good.

I wear a half mask respirator made by Ellipse, it has the N95 pods. In addition I wear safety specs, in ear hearing protection, and also over the ears protection. I would also not wear clothes you care about. This is where I really go through some canola oil as well.

1610110846452.png

Family fun ..